SoCal training

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

SoCal training

Post by overheadx2 »

I have started my sierra training by doing some higher elevation hikes each Friday up in the baldy area. My plans are for stodard peak and maybe the west baldy peak. I am not a fast hiker and usually do about 1.5 MPH up hill and 2.5 downhill. Since so many of us are from so cal, it might be nice to get together for a hike or two.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Re: SoCal training

Post by whrdafamI? »

I try to go up Ice House Friday mornings. I also am not a fast hiker. I just get there eventually.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
intrek38
Topix Acquainted

Post by intrek38 »

Mnt Baden Powell from Wrightwood is a good hike up to about 9500 ft. Great reminder as to what elevation can do to you, as I usually forget...
http://modernhiker.com/2009/06/18/hikin ... en-powell/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

SoCal training

Post by Jimr »

Mt Williamson is a nice hike as well. I work on Fridays and hike at twice that speed, so it probably wouldn't be a good fit anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Thanks for the link Jim. Used to walk a lot faster, but over 8500 feet the altatude really slows me down. I believe WD wrote a post about some sort of slowed step a while ago. It has really made a difference for me at altatude. So now I train slow and steady.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

Baldy from Manker Flats is a great one for training - either an early start on the weekend or go during the week to avoid the crowds. I'm slow (especially up high); so if you ever want company on a hike let me know.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

I get out on big socal hikes quite often. Yesterday I went up the Marion Peak trail up Jacinto. That's a great hike, and great training taboot.

I take lots of photos and don't see the point in hurrying through the wilderness, so my pace pretty much matches yours. I'd be interested in a HST hike if I could make it. I have plenty of suggestions of hikes that I want to add to my website :)
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cahikr
Topix Acquainted

Post by cahikr »

Has anyone hiked Baldy from the village, or From the East fork over Iron mtn.?
I would like to do these routes, but hike solo and am a little apprehensive about these more distant trips solo.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

hey schmalz, you were in my neck of the woods. I live in Hemet. Marion Mountain is a great training hike. Beware that it gets extremely crowded. Try the Deer Springs trailhead to the peak if you want to increase difficulty. I know all the trails up there pretty intimately so if you are looking for something new shoot me a PM.

I am going camping up there with a group of friends/family this weekend, and will hike the fuller ridge trail just to the north face overlook.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

cahiker, I have been looking into that hike since it seems to be far less crowded than Manker Flats. The wife and I are planning on doing that one soon (as soon as the extreme heat dies down) although I was just planning on doing the 8 miles up to Lone peak instead of the 12 to west Baldy Peak. Check out schmalz Calitrails website. He has a great description of that hike.Phil