Domeland 4/19/14

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Domeland 4/19/14

Post by gary c. »

We had planned on hiking to Panamint but when we got to the trailhead we found about 30 cars with a whole lot of hikers getting ready to do the same thing. As soon as we saw them someone in the back seat said forget it and I turned around. We stopped and asked a guy and he said that they were all part of a Sierra Club event headed up for the weekend.

We left and started for Ridgecrest to eat and then 9ml road and Kennedy Meadows. We decided to head down river into the Domeland Wilderness. The river is low for this time of year and a bit dirty but if it had been a week later it would have been perfect for fishing. I was surprised that I didn't see very many wildflowers, already too late I would guess. The snakes are out and we saw one next to the trail on the way in.

"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Re: Domeland 4/19/14

Post by Rockchucker »

Thanks for this pictures, looks horribly dry already!
I'm no suture for my future.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Nice rattler shot Gary. About how long do you think it was?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Not that long, about two feet. You can see a black ring dead center about an inch over from the right edge of the picture. That is the base of his rattles.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by richlong8 »

How far did you go Gary? I have been down that way at least 6-8 times in the last 10 years. The fishing can get quite good if you are willing to bushwhack. Its very arid, but there are some nice green areas that make it pleasant. A few years ago, I went in the week before opening day of fishing season on a dayhike, and came upon a herd of at probably 30 deer. 2 weekends later, I saw none.
RichardCullip
Topix Regular

Post by RichardCullip »

Very nice. Good choice to escape the Sierra Club crowd and find some solitude.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Rich, I would guess that we hike about 4mls down the river and then day hiked to Rockhouse Basin on Sunday. The river below the bridge could sure use a good spring run off. I've been down that way before but never seen so many beaver damns as this trip. Almost the entire stretch was one long series of beaver damns and lodges, not little ones either. The whole system could use a good flushing.
-- Lionel Terray