What are you planning for 2014?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
umjames
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: What are you planning for 2014?

Post by umjames »

Hi y'all. I'm planning a nice sized trip this year, in fact my biggest yet. I'm ridiculously excited. I'm giving myself 6 weeks, from June 10th to July 24th. The plan looks like this:
Section 1: Hetch Hetchy to Tuolumne Meadows through the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne River
Section 2: Tuolumne to Red's Meadow via the JMT and SHR, including exploring the feet of Banner and Ritter, as well as extra time spent around the Minarets
Section 3: Red's to Bishop Pass via the JMT
Section 4: cross country through Dusy Basin & Palisade Basin, climb Mt. Sill, then continue south along JMT to Kearsarge Pass
Section 5: Kearsarge to Tyndall Creek via JMT, then into Kern Canyon, to the Colby Pass trail, to Gallats Lake, cross country by the Kern-Kaweah headwaters, over Pants Pass to 9 Lakes Basin, and on to Precipice Lake, before heading back to Kern Canyon along the HST, to Kern Hot Spring, and finally back to the JMT via the trail following Wallace Creek, and on up the west side of Whitney, ending at Whitney Portal \:D/
artrock23
Topix Acquainted

Post by artrock23 »

Hello again, all. I haven't been on here since late last year. Now that the Sierra hiking/climbing season is almost here, it's time to start posting again. :D

First trip of the year will be to climb Mt. Agassiz, with two nights at Bishop Pass.

After that, plans are to do: the SE Glacier route on Mt. Ritter, a four day trip to the Royce Lakes area to climb Merriam, Royce, and Feather peaks; Mt. Sill (Swiss Arete); and hopefully Mt. Humphreys. I'd also really like to do the Northeast Ridge of Bear Creek Spire and maybe some of the other peaks in the Little Lakes area on a multi-day trip.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

I've been thinking about a short exploration loop of the Monarch Divide. Looks as though it would be quiet and infrequently traveled.
http://caltopo.com/map?id=1J54" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Shawn,

PM sent.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

The pass on the route between Swamp Lakes and Slide Lakes looks quite steep on the map. Do you know how hard it is?
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Nice route except from Swamp to Slide looks questionable where I circled.
Instead:
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Thanks for the realistic feedback guys (got your PM too Mav). I am still dabbling with the actual route and timing of the hike -so your thoughts are helpful. For example I'll use SSDave's suggested route from Swamp to Slide.

I'm still mulling over the actual off-trail aspect, which could change quite a bit. While I have other trips on my agenda for the summer, and with all of the beautiful areas in the Sierra, for reasons I can't explain this part of the Monarch Divide fascinates me.

Much appreciated.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

That pass is Gimme Pass: HST Map very easy class 2, the lake south of the pass is a beautiful turquoise color. The Monarch Divide is well worth the visit, it is one of the least visited sections of the Sierra, especially the western end of it.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Cool, thanks Mav!
ulu
Topix Novice

Post by ulu »

Gonna shoot for the jmt early june, if doable.