Partner(s) for Kennedy to Horseshoe hike

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Pathfinder
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Partner(s) for Kennedy to Horseshoe hike

Post by Pathfinder »

I'm Rolin Bruno looking for a partner(s) for a late May hike from Kennedy Meadows (Inyokern) to Horseshoe Meadow after planting a car at both ends. It's 46 miles with a campsite every 10 miles, I'm planning for 5-6 days. If I don't find a partner with a car I'll stash a food cache at Horseshoe and hike it round trip, 10-12 days. Pathfinder is my trail name, I did 528 PCT miles last year, Campo to Tehachapi, but I don't have that much time this year. I live in Colton, CA. Any takers? :nod:
Photo is of Kennedy PCT trailhead.
Kennedy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Partner(s) for Kennedy to Horseshoe hike

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Do you take GPS with you? If so if you come across any downed trees can you send me the waypoints of where they are?

I just did a survey of Walker Pass to Kennedy Meadows. Tried to say hi to Tom there but he wasn't home. If you stop by his place it should be hiker season there.
Pathfinder
Topix Novice

Post by Pathfinder »

I do take GPS and will try to remember to send you downed tree info. Won't be on PCT before late Msy. Tom's neoghbor across the street said he is off the mountain for an extended time and his return date is unknown. Saw the neighbor last Wednesday.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

I'd be interested but time off work is always tough. If you were willing to the trip over Memorial Day weekend (3 days on trail), then I would most likely be in.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

RoguePhotonic wrote:Do you take GPS with you? If so if you come across any downed trees can you send me the waypoints of where they are?

I just did a survey of Walker Pass to Kennedy Meadows. Tried to say hi to Tom there but he wasn't home. If you stop by his place it should be hiker season there.
Lots of downed trees on the brown trail out of Monachi, several large trees across the trail. Someone cleared a bad section last year just out of Brown meadows.
I'm no suture for my future.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Saw the neighbor last Wednesday.
I just missed you then as I got off the trail on Tuesday. I hiked up to the store at 11pm and was disappointed to find it closed. No good burgers after the 5 days on trail.

Generally speaking the PCTA does not do work between Kennedy Meadows and Sequoia National Park. The area has other volunteer organizations such as the High Sierra Volunteer Trail Crew that does allot in that area. I do have another contacts though I can pass information along to so I will note the Brown Trail.
Bradg
Topix Acquainted

Post by Bradg »

I was on PCT from Kennedy Meadows last week, just to Beck Meadows.
There are lots of downed trees in the burned areas. No big deal just a bit of a hassle going around them.
I'd be careful not to camp or hang out around them. Especially if it"s windy. "widowmakers"

Theres not a lot of water around, even this early.

Enjoy!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

A crew will be out to get the trees on the Southern end of Section G to Kennedy Meadows this weekend and another crew working trail North of there but I think they are only going a bit North of Clover Meadow.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

Bradg wrote:I was on PCT from Kennedy Meadows last week, just to Beck Meadows.
There are lots of downed trees in the burned areas. No big deal just a bit of a hassle going around them.
I'd be careful not to camp or hang out around them. Especially if it"s windy. "widowmakers"

Theres not a lot of water around, even this early.

Enjoy!
What was the snow like in beck?
I'm no suture for my future.
Bradg
Topix Acquainted

Post by Bradg »

There was virtually no snow in Beck Meadows. It looks like they run cattle there in the summer. We didn't like the look of the water in the Meadow because of the cow dung. We were lucky to find a spring on the side that had cleaner water.