Ursack Passes IGBC Test

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ursack Passes IGBC Test

Post by markskor »

All hope for Ursack passing muster but, doubtful.
Don't sell your Bearikade just yet.

Looking in my crystal ball...
While somehow skating by this season in some parts of the Sierra, (Which makes no logical sense to me, BTW, as Ursacks have been repeatedly proven not to work). Once again backcountry reports will soon enough show bears prevaiing and again gnawing the Ursacks apart - same as in the past... (Unless Ursack has changed, why would it not?).

Someone (Einstein?) defined insanity as doing the same and expecting a different result?

Where bears, just seeing a bear can sitting there, had learned to avoid backpacker's camps, now as food stashes become again productive, ursine visits will increase...
All it will take is one bad bear/human/Ursack incident.
Mountainman who swims with trout
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Ursack Passes IGBC Test

Post by freestone »

I will probably buy the sack, then have Ursack and Bearicade in the quiver ready to go. I may even have both at the trailhead before I make the final decision on which one to use. Ranger reports, messages on the board, etc. No need to lug a canister into an area with no history of problems now.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien