Toyota FJ or get a new transmission?

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
wingding

Post by wingding »

Nice color choice.

I don't know how long the wait will be for the FJ Cruiser if you order it, but it took 5 months for my Tacoma to come after we ordered it from Toyota, but it was nice to be able to place an order for exactly what I wanted. It was actually built in California - kind of nice to know that workers in our state were paid to assemble it. I think I'm getting about 18 mpg when I remember to put it in overdrive and that's 3 mpg more than I was getting with the Ford Ranger and the Ranger had less HP than the Tacoma (6 Cylinder with 235 HP for the Ranger and 6 Cylinder with 265 HP for the Tacoma). I don't know much about vehicles and engines, but I think it's having the 5 speed automatic versus the 4 speed automatic that makes the difference in the MPG.
HikinDoc
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Toyota trucks

Post by HikinDoc »

I had a Toyota - same exact thing happened - tranny went out - couldn't get in first gear at all. Had the tranny worked on for about 300.00 and it worked great until a big dodge rear ended me and that was the end of my Toyota. However, I just purchased and new Tacmoa crew cab - it is nice. They are so quiet you'd think you were in a Lincoln. Looking forward to many years of use from this vehicle.

p.s. got rid of a Ford Expedition for the Toyota truck - no comparison - Ford is a terrible product and I recommend you stay away from them as far as possible. The company is full of liar, cheaters, and thieves. I still haven't received my refund from extended warranty and will likely have to fight with them many more times before I do. I can't wait until they go bankrupt so I can gloat!!!
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

A friend, Naviguesser, had his Ford Exploder for 3 years with all kinds of problems and finally got rid of it. My last 4 vehicles have been Toyotas, and I usually run them to the ground. (:)
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Im on my third Toyota in life, have had a Chevy truck, Isuzu truck and a trooper. You cant beat Toyota, seventeen years on my first one, tend to baby my tacoma now to keep the mileage down.

I started thinking about the FJ when it was a prototype, it will probably be my next.

PS Snowy, check into the Rhino Liner, I have seen photos where they put it on the sides as a brush, rock, etc, protector, it looked pretty cool, its the stuff they spray truck beds with instead of a bed liner.
Randonnee
Founding Member

Post by Randonnee »

Snowy--Congratulations, great choice. I second ridgeline's suggestion as I have a Rhino Lining in my truck. It saves a lot of wear and tear on the truck.

HikingDoc -- I have to disagree with you about Ford. I have had many different vehicles in my 55+ years and always end up going back to Ford. I currently have a Ranger and the only problems happened the first weekend I had it. One was my fault, the hinge on the passenger seatback got knocked out of alignment. The other problem was an electircal connector that came unconnected and left the wire harness hanging down in front of the brake pedal. Both were fixed in less than a half hour. I have had no problems since. Well, I have worn out two sets of tires :D Next time I need a new truck I plan on it being another Ford.

Different people having different opinions is what makes the competitive free market system work. Your preference is great for you :nod: :nod:
"The distinguishing mark of true adventures, is that it is often no fun at all while they are actually happening." ? Kim Stanley Robinson
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

change of plans. For awhile he wanted me to get a hybrid. nooooooooo! After dinner with his friends, who were trading in a 2WD for another 4WD, he said ok. I decided on the FJ, for trips where we would sleep in the back. I can fit in the Rubi, but two of us can't. I'm enjoying my FJ!

I'll check the Rhino Liner. I got the Extra Guard sealant, is that the same? When I got the 4Runner they called it the Armadillo something or other (forget now).
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;