Cheese Sticks & Where to Buy Them?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
alpinemike
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Cheese Sticks & Where to Buy Them?

Post by alpinemike »

In planning for my JMT hike and others this summer I've been thinking about food options. I've read and heard a good deal about cheese sticks. I'm curious though.. where does one find them? I'm assuming people aren't talking about the kind you refrigerate like string cheese or am I wrong? I know that there are Cheese Its that are essentially a baked cheese snack but I'm sure there are other cheese snacks available.

2 years ago my friend and I did half of the JMT and our lunch/snack was essentially some trail mix and an attempt to scarf down a Cliff Bar. I would say that we ate the smallest amount of food for a lunch/snack out of anyone we talked to. I'm not sure how we managed to do that and still complete all of the miles and never feel abnormally weak. But this year I'd love to have something to snack on other than a bar or trail mix and cheese sure would be nice.

Thank you all!
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Re: Cheese Sticks & Where to Buy Them?

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Well I think there are options. In 2010 I carried string cheese for 10 days without a problem and it was in really hot weather also. I carry blocks of cheese whenever I can in the Sierra. It will sweat and get greasy on the outside but it's still good.

There is also the options of cheese sticks like how you can get Jack Links packets of a beef and cheese stick. I'm sure you could find something like that without the beef stick.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

[quote="sparky"]my bear can or food bag stays wrapped in my down jacket. As long as my pack is not in direct sun for extended periods my cheese will stay cold. I take cheese every trip, usually sharp cheddar as it is pretty darn versatile.

I hate to derail the thread but quesodillas has turned into my favorite backcountry meal. Today I just so happened to have bought one of those hand held grill things and cut it down to lose weight so I can make them much more easily now. I can now eat them for dinner every night!
The hermit
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by The hermit »

I like the pre sliced sharp cheddar no fuss no mess.salami and crackers. Keeps for at least a week. Would not put fresh cheese in a resupply box for weeks. There are processed cheeses that do not need refrigeration, laughing cow was one brand I found. Read the label to make sure it will keep. I always bring parmesan too
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Cheese is one item I really spoil myself with when in the backcountry. 3 year old gouda or parmigiano reggiano are tops on my list an will last as long as you can go between resupplies. Probably not something you want stored for months at a resupply location, though and not cheap.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Both Raleys and Safeway here in SLT have cheese sticks in various flavors. I prefer the pepper jack myself.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
LightRanger
Topix Acquainted

Post by LightRanger »

Waxed-wrapped Baby bells. They have a cheddar version as well.

Typed with thumbs on tiny keys
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I'd go with hard cheeses. The Parm has been mentioned, and works well with pasta dishes if you cook.
the hard cheeses are even good for lunch, but we generally use them as appetizers with crackers.

I have carried spray cheddar w/bacon. Actually very good for lunch other than the can.

Still, hard cheeses, except in the early days of a trip if you like string cheeses, they last long enough.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I get cheddar and jack sticks at Trader Joes. I've also taken gouda, baby bels, block cheddar, and string cheese. You can take hard cheeses for long trips especially if you resort to measures such as wrapping them in vinegar soaked cheesecloth. Cheese sticks are sealed and while they change consistency sometimes, never had one go inedible even after many days.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

It's difficult to describe how amazing it is to have been on the trail for 3 months and then be in the back country and cut up a half pound of cheese onto my pasta and let it all melt. Mmmm :drool: :drool: :drool: