Effects of another drought year in the Sierras'

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Effects of another drought year in the Seirras'

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Headed to Wyoming for this summer. When I was there a few years ago, it was warmer and drier than I have ever experienced- really low lake levels and warm water and algae blooms - rare for that area. Wyoming is headed for a normal to above normal snowpack, so I am looking forward to lots of water and snow. Last time I was in Wyoming the last third of my summer was marred by the Alpine Lake fire, one of the biggest in years. This summer I had to deal with smoke from the Rim Fire here. I seem to have had bad luck with timing of my trips and fires.

I still will get in a few early trips in the Sierra in June and perhaps a few late trips in Sept-Oct provided that the entire range is not shut down due to fire danger.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Effects of another drought year in the Sierras'

Post by dave54 »

It's getting spooky in the woods.

If the drought continues the hiking season may be short. If the woods are dry enough a closure could be enacted by late July or so.

I have only a few patches of snow in my yard. in a normal year I'd have a couple feet. On the plus side the loggers are loving it. They are still harvesting in January. You rarely see that.
No soil disturbance problems -- it's all frozen.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Slight misting at the moment on the Elk Grove-South Sacramento boundary. It drizzled for about an hour and is slowing. There isn't much more than a wet ground, but my hope is that this might collapse that high pressure cell and open the storm door for following systems to move further south! :thumbsup:
OzSwaggie
Topix Acquainted

Post by OzSwaggie »

Are there precedents to a closure of the national parks/wilderness areas due to fire risk? How much notice would be given?
Dancing , dancing .... \:D/ (but I'm in the wrong place!) (dry here too).
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

It has been raining in Bishop since 3:00 am!!!
I'm no suture for my future.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Forecasts have been building for the coming event for over a week now. And indeed we in the central and northern parts of the state will get the first big soaking rains since last February. The two small storms this last week have nicely wetted the ground surfaces so waters will more easily soak in instead of flow over. Has got me back into more serious exercising and this weekend will be dragging my skis and boots downstairs at least to look at.
JosiahSpurr
Topix Regular

Post by JosiahSpurr »

Has anyone talked about glaciers ?? We have the southern-most glaciers in the northern hemisphere, but not for long? Someone did a PhD on the pattern of glacier retreat in the Sierra over the last 100 years. They are shrinking fast. Really fast. I would get more glacier experience under my belt before I have to go to the Rockies for it. ***
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

rcymbala wrote:Has anyone talked about glaciers ?? We have the southern-most glaciers in the northern hemisphere, but not for long?
Not quite true. You're forgetting about the glaciers in Mexico, the Caucasus, the Himalayas and of course the Andes. Here's a helpful map:
http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2005/3056/pdf/f ... 56_508.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;