Water Storage Bags

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Water Storage Bags

Post by maverick »

Currrenty use a 1.5 G Platypus for backpacking and do not care for it, zipper on it is
not working and is very unbalanced when not full. The 96 fl.oz. Nalgene Wide-Mouth
that was used prior to the Platypus sprung a leak after its third trip even though it was
delicately used.
So what do those of you who use campsites that may be a longer distance from
water sources frequently, like up on a ridge, or when hiking in a desert climate use
for carrying/storing water? Has to be collapsible, carry at least 1.5 G, be leak proof,
and lightweight.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Water Storage Bags

Post by rlown »

if it's full, with water, it doesn't have to be collapsible. Could be milk jugs at that point hanging on a strap on the back of your pack. That costs nothing until you fill it up and suspend it off the back of your pack.

I carry a 2L camelback pack insert which i only use going uphill or in camp. It helps me uphill as i insert electrolyte tabs in it prior to filling it up, and with the "suck tube", i can do hills without dismounting my pack.

Still, i'd do milk jugs if I had to for a ridge trip.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Trail Designs sells these:
http://www.traildesigns.com/accessories/water-carriers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I used the MSR 4 liter Dromedary on my last trip at Joshua Tree and they are very well constructed, but heavy, but so is water and in the desert, I didn't want to worry about leaks.

I usually just buy a new 2liter platypus bag every year or so for the Sierra trips.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

I use the 2 liter platypus bottles most of the time. That's only half a gallon but they weigh little and take up minimal space so we usually carry several of them even when camped close to water. They have no handles and are floppy and annoying to pour though.

I've used two liter soda bottles in the desert and for big wall climbing where the lack of collapsibility matters less. In a pinch I've used gallon zip lock bags. You have to be kind of careful with those.

I suppose you could empty out the bear canister and fill that with water.
larry1
Topix Acquainted

Post by larry1 »

Osprey Hydraulics 3 liter. Available from REI, replacement tubing and bite valve also available. I rarely use the total capacity but its nice to have. I get uncomfortable with the thought of running out of water. Good idea on the electrolyte tabs.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

Rumrunner flasks. They come in various sizes. Light. The largest capacity is 32oz also have 8 and 16 oz. Drawback is the mouths are small. Roll up when empty and stand when they have liquid in them. Also double duty as they are great for smuggling booze on cruise ships.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thank you for everybody's input so far.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

MSR Dromlite - lighter than the dromedary, but still seems plenty tough. Handles freezing and stays flexible. Has a nice cap that is nalgene liter size wide mouth but also with small spout and tiny spout, so it's pretty easy to pour out of in a controlled manner or hang up and dispense. I have the 4-liter, I think.
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

We each carry a 3 liter MSR bag. I have been using them for several years. We set up camp mostly away from water and use the bags a mile or two before setting up camp. We like to have enough water to get use through the evening and to get going in the morning until we come across the next stream. I rinse them out at the end of each trip with a light bleach solution followed by tap water rinse and let them dry out before storing.
Jeff
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Mav, I always stay at water so I don't know if this helps for your purpose, but I usually fill a waterproof sea to summit 8-10 liter stuff sack full of water. I fill it up, fold it down and use the folded clip part as the handle. I then hang 4-5 liters from a branch and scoop water out as needed or I attach a hose to the bottom and drain out what I need.