Pants for cold weather hiking

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Ranboze
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Pants for cold weather hiking

Post by Ranboze »

Im wondering what kind of leg wear folks wear when hiking/backpacking in snow conditions. I like my Mountain Hardware pants because they're lined, but doubt they'd be warm enough and keep me dry enough when it gets really cold or if Im in snow.
Walking outside is where I find what's inside.
wingding

Post by wingding »

Softshell pants work really good. I'm particular to REI's Mistral pants because they come in petite, but I think any of the brands made with one of the Schoeller fabrics would work the same. They tend to shed moisture and they breath well, so they are perfect for the winter. They are also tough and don't tear easy when I drag my butt along rocks.
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

For the past few winters I've been using Ibex Guide Lite pants. A bit pricey, but they've been through three winters of rough use and still look brand new - I definitely won't be needing to replace them for a while! They are really warm - a softshell with a merino wool lining - and even when sitting around camp in the snow they keep me warm. On windy or really cold days and nights they layer well with my full zip Precip pants and/or Duofold Snowbound base layers. They are *not* waterproof, but they are water resistant (like most softshells). I like them because they are so versatile. They even look nice enough that when I want to go out for a night on the town after a day in the snow, I don't need to change. :D
Ranboze
Topix Regular

Post by Ranboze »

Thanx Kathy and calipidder. I think I'll check into both of them.
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Ranboze, wear shorts like me, ha ha
If you have a mountain hardware shell it should be waterproof, layer beneath it, just remember when you hike you may be too warm. I like to layer everywhere in the winter even pants. A perfect cold winter hike for me would be next to nothing on, when I stop, pull on the Mountain Hardware Absolute zero pant (very expensive), warm and cozy in seconds.
Ranboze
Topix Regular

Post by Ranboze »

Why are all the warm clothes made only for men??? Those pants, and the zero degree parka, look quite toasty.

I did purchase the Ibex Guide Lite pant and was pleased with them on the HST trip to Matlock Lake. The outer layer seems rugged and I like that it's not slippery like the usual summer pant. I butt crawl a lot and ya gotta be careful with those nylon pants. If Im in weather colder than what we were in, though, I'd probably need something a bit warmer for nite time.
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

Love my Mountain Hardwear Chugach pants, but then, you've seen them on the Matlock trip. I actually wore them when I hiked out of Matlock Lake that night, and they didn't get too hot, but I wouldn't want to do any uphill hiking in them in anything but the coldest conditions. But for nighttime....thumbs up! :nod:
wingding

Post by wingding »

a layer of heavy fleece works at night for me with my shell pants over them until I get into the sleeping bag. I also have a pair of marmot driclime pants and a pair of rei fleece pants that have full zips on the side, so they are easy on and off and mean i can change layers faster if i need to when i'm hiking and I can wear them over my other fleece if it's really cold at night.