Thanksgiving Weekend Death Valley trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Thanksgiving Weekend Death Valley trip

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

I know most people have family commitments on Thursday, but maybe you can drive up and meet us for the rest of the weekend. We plan on hiking into the Corridor on Saturday. It's supposed to be a pretty neat canyon with some interesting fossils and geology. There are narrows and dry falls. One part if the Corridor is a mile straight, with just a few jogs in it, you can see down it for a half a mile from where we'll be entering it, we'll then turn up it and get into some narrows. (it begins in a side canyon starting at Ubehebe Mine). For those that have more time, Friday and maybe Thursday, there is Perdido Canyon, more fossils, and Dry Bone Canyon (very big, but we don't have to go in the whole way). As for peaks, there is White Top and something interesting I found while checking out the topo- a peak called Leaning Rock. Both peaks are short hikes, but ya know how desert peaks can be , so who knows?
Meeting place will be an area just inside the mouth of Lost Burro Gap,
To get there, from Ubehebe Crater you drive about 20 miles down the Racetrack Rd to Teakettle Junction. Turn left and drive about 1.4 miles to the camp spot. The coordinates are 36 44.892'N, 117 31.505W
One of our trucks will be there, even if we are out doing something else, to hold the spot. Either a green Toyota Tacoma, a White Ranger Edge or a green Chevy with camper. If I don't have the ranger and we're in a 4WD, I might try the Lippencott Rd to get home on Sunday.
Who'd like to go??
wingding

Post by wingding »

Thanks for posting the meeting spot TT. I'll be driving in on Friday afternoon, so add a white Toyota Tacoma to the list. I'm going to take Monday off too, so that I don't have to fight the Cajon Pass traffic on Sunday. I think I'm going to look at doing either Eagle Mtn or Ubehebe on Friday during the day before heading to the meeting spot. I'd like to do something on Sunday too, but I don't know what yet.
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

I'll be in the area that weekend but unsure as to my itinerary...it kind of depends on my road-trip partners. Just in case, I am in a white Chevy Venture van.
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

David and I will be in Death Valley at that time and will more than likely meet up with everyone. We'll be in the black trailblazer. This is one part of the park we haven't spent much time in, so it would be a lot of fun to check out some of the canyons and peaks.

We'll be leaving town tomorrow but I hope to find an internet connection sometime Mon-Wed while in Vegas, so if plans change hopefully we'll be up to date.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

got to do some family stuff thursday - but was thinking about the drive on friday - via hunter would be nice if anyone know the road condition - might bag a peak along the way.

sooz you are mean putting those coords up in lat/long - have to switch all my settings just to get it to take - when you gonna get in the 21st century
UTM's baby
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

TC- 21st century!!!! Gimme a break- I'm still tryin' to catch up to the 20th!!!!!
Just show up, ya freak!! :D
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

PS- Hunter should be fine this time of year, doncha think? Went over it okay last winter- some ice and snow, but nothing we couldn't get through.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

she calls me a freak as she lures me into the valley of death - does anyone else sense red flags going up.

think I will try and go up Hunter - beats driving all the way around - or at least the scenery is better
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

:unibrow:
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Cool. Sounds like this is shaping up to be a good one! Kathy- is Alan coming?
Mountaineer- hope you can stop by!