Recommendation for dog booties

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Recommendation for dog booties

Post by overheadx2 »

I took the dog up to baldy for our Friday hike, and she really chewed up her feet. Her feet are tough since she mountain bikes and hikes with me several times a week. She seemed to have cut her paws up on the loose granite. This is the second time in 3 weeks that she has had a problem. I'm afraid that 3-4 days backpacking will be to much without booties. I have tried booties in the past, but she has very slender paws and they tend to come off relatively quick. Any suggestions?
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Recommendation for dog booties

Post by DriveFly44 »

OHx2, yes the granite is like glass and my little guy got cut up badly the first time. I tried several and these were the best for my pal (went through 3 pairs in about 25 backpacking trips with him - several posted here on HST). There are around 6 sizes to choose from.

http://www.ruffwear.com/Barkn-Boots-Gri ... ategory=11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You said you tried booties.....which kind?

There are cheaper ones out there but these lasted the longest and stayed on his paws (for the most part).

Ladd
sctopdx
Topix Novice

Post by sctopdx »

I can second the Ruffwear Booties- went for a 6 day trip to Seven Gables area & my German Shepard had no issues, except one...watch out for their Dew claws as the Velcro strap can pinch it if you aren't careful. He got a minor cut under one of his. I found it best to keep a close eye on how your dog is walking, more often than not if the booties are slipping or causing irritation you tell pretty quick.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

I too agree that the Ruff Wear "Barking Boots" are the way to go. I have done it both ways, with and without. Without wasn't much fun. By the time we had made the climb up Pine Creek my dogs toe pads were in bad shape. It can put a real damper on the trip. All I can say is if you don't think they are needed then you hike barefoot and lets see how long your feet hold up on granite. One thing is for sure. I am not going to get in a argument over the use of these. Suit yourself.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
87TT
Topix Regular

Post by 87TT »

Make sure they fit your dog before you go. the ruffwears are good. I use a strip of duct tape around the top to keep them from slipping or getting lost. Actually some of the thin cheap ones seem to be more comfortable on the dog but they just don't last. strong but as flexible as you can is best.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't arguing against booties, i had tried some in the past with bad results, but now realize I need them. It looks like ruff wear is the way to go. What are your thoughts about the high booties like summit trex as opposed to the ankle ones like grip trex? Do you ever get a lot of debris in them with loose sand or rock? Thanks
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

OHX2, the argument for or against comment came from the outcome of the last time these were discussed. Just not going down that trail again. What I do is to mark which paw each boot is worn on and make sure that they are always on the same paw. Give your dog time to get used to wearing them.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

dogs need the same rest stops we do, if there is dust in your boot, you stop. Same with them, you take off the booties and clean them out.. then put them back on after paws and booties are clean.

Haven't seen gaiters for dogs yet. the best comment i saw so far was watch how your dog is walking. if it changes, stop and clean the booties. If you don't use booties, still watch your dog. Gait changes, then check.

Still, if you're in the sierra, train your dog for booties. Unless you live there and they toughen up naturally due to use. depends on the breed.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Ruffwear calls it a gaiter. It's basically the grip tex with a high sock looking part. It stated that it's to keep debis out. Just though I'd see if it helped or not.
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by schmalz »

Out of curiousity, what color are your dogs pads? Are they smooth or textured? This is mainly for my own personal research.

As I've mentioned on this board before, I don't use booties on my dog, and I trained her partially on baldy. She's summited 5 times now, including the two gnarly trails. But anyways... some dogs have paws that are better suited than others, for sure.

When you say you mountain bike and hike multiple times a week with your dog, where? Is the terrain similar to what you find on Baldy?
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;