Advice on Haeckel/Echo Cols

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
snowblind
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by snowblind »

I am thinking of a trip out of Sabrina over Haeckel Col to McGee/Davis Lakes (possibly climbing Hermit or Goddard) and back over Echo Col to Sabrina. Would it be preferable to do the Cols in reverse? They both seem reasonable from either direction.

Also, think I should bag McGee and head to Ionian basin instead? Been to Darwin/Evolution/Dusy areas many times, but never to the west of the JMT.

As I prefer early trips, I plan on going the 3rd or 4th week of June due to the dry year.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Advice on Haeckel/Echo Cols

Post by maverick »

Great discriptions on both of those col's.
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9225" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8882" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

I've gone over Haeckel and Echo in the order you mentioned. I like the east side approach to Haeckel, it's easy to find from Sabrina Basin. The approach to Echo from the JMT is more gradual than the steep class III notch on the other side. Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

Great job on the Haeckel/Echo routes, Bluewater! I haven't read all the entries in the Cross Country Passes section, but yours sets an excellent standard.
-Scott
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks Scott! I wish I could just move into one of those abandoned cabins and explore cross country passes all year.
snowblind
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by snowblind »

Yes, thank you Bluewater....I bookmarked your info on Haeckel last year. Really great. Thank you for validating my plan.

Any thoughts on heading out the 3rd week of June will be an issue? Seems hard to believe it would be at this point.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks snowblind! It seems like a late June crossing would be fine this year. I tried to cross Echo Col a few weeks ago on snowshoes but it took two days just to reach Echo Lake. There was two feet of fresh powder on the northern facing slopes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk