potential loop for 2014

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

potential loop for 2014

Post by whrdafamI? »

This years plan is to start at Mosquito Flats, over Mono Pass, down Mono Creek trail to the JMT. At this point I plan to head south and go back over Italy Pass to Pine Creek trail head,cross the road and go up Morgan Pass through Little Lakes Valley back to the car. I have secured the permit for Aug. 3rd and have 8 days. Alternative would be to go down to Piute Pass trail and either out that way or back over Pine Creek Pass. Sound feasible? Anyone else done this loop? Anything I should be concerned about?
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
Ska-T
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: potential loop for 2014

Post by Ska-T »

Sounds feasible to me. As far as concerns, I'd be concerned about the heat, especially on the day you hike down to the Pine Creek trail head and then up the Morgan Creek drainage. It could be hot in lower Mono Creek and gaining elevation out of Quail Meadows, but the south facing Morgan Pass trail is the larger potential discomfort. But since you are from Ontario, you may already be heat acclimated. :)

"If I need it and don't have it, then I don't need it."
Ray Jardine
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

Ska-T, appreciate the advice. Getting the heat treatment already! 92 in Ontario today and 106 in Arizona which is where I am right now. Not really fair when its only April!

whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

Doesn't seem to be much interest in this area.
Last edited by whrdafamI? on Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

whrdafamI wrote:Alternative would be to go down to Piute Pass trail and either out that way or back over Pine Creek Pass.
Perhaps if you expand (and clarify) your alternative plans you will get more opinions. Your original plan is clear and there isn't much to say that you don't already know. Plus you said you already had your permit.

There are a lot of interesting cross country routes your on-trail trip circumscribes. From your trip report(s) I see you do cross country. Any places you haven't been to in that area that you would like to see? What are your aims? What are your limitations?
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

It's a nice loop. I enjoy the whole Morgan Creek drainage. Both great scenery and some interesting mining history.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

Ska-T wrote:
whrdafamI wrote:Alternative would be to go down to Piute Pass trail and either out that way or back over Pine Creek Pass.
Perhaps if you expand (and clarify) your alternative plans you will get more opinions. Your original plan is clear and there isn't much to say that you don't already know. Plus you said you already had your permit.

There are a lot of interesting cross country routes your on-trail trip circumscribes. From your trip report(s) I see you do cross country. Any places you haven't been to in that area that you would like to see? What are your aims? What are your limitations?
What I already know is what I have seen on the map. Have been up Pine Creek to Granite Park a couple of times but no further. Have also been up Piute from the JMT twice. Unknown area to me from Hutchinson Meadows over Pine Creek. My limitation is pretty much anything past class 2, really not much of a climber, have always had a bad vibe dealing with heights. Cross country I am OK with as long as it doesn't get radicle. Wisdom is knowing where to draw the line.

Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

You could take the SHR up Second Recess over Gabbot Pass to Lake Italy. I believe it is shorter and more spectacular than the JMT. The trail past Jumble Lake can be a bit difficult to find and if lost you get hung up in huge boulders. Once higher the trail is also faint but the cross country travel is easy so being exactly on the trail is no big deal. One of my biggest regrets is a dead camera battery and missing the splendid sunrise and sunset shots in upper Granite Park. I highly recommend camping in Granite Park. From Granite Park it is worthwhile to run up to Royce Lakes. You could actually pack up to Royce Lake and intersect the trail over Pine Creek Pass.

I walked part way down Morgan Lakes to fish last fall when I was in Rock Creek. Camping is poor at the uppermost lake (very windy and rocky) although it has good fishing. The next small pond down is nearly filled with grass but does have flat campsites. The next big lake down has very good campsites and some harder to catch fish. At first I thought there were no fish- then I saw some swimming along the bottom but they were not interested in flies. All the lakes accessed by the trails in Rock Creek are crowded with day-hikers. We liked Treasure Lakes because it is off trail enough that less people go there. There is a really nice established campsite on the ridge between the two lakes.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

WD, that does sound interesting and could potentially fit right in as we have been talking about going up to 2nd Recess. Any issue with taking dogs through Gabot?

Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Last time I went over Gabbot Pass, we met a group with four dogs. One was a really small one. The owner said he just lifted the dog over the boulders. There were snow fields on the top. A lot of locals with dogs use this area. We also met a couple with three huskys in Bear Basin. Their dogs were sled dogs. However, parts of Italy Pass could be a bit hard for dogs. Depends on your dog. They should be experienced mountain dogs. I would not take my dog on the route because she is very young, and has somewhat tender paws and is a bit of a "princess". I would say tough paws are a requirement. (My dog will not wear dog boots).

There is a use trail up second recess but it is hard to find. If you do not find it you can end up with some serious bushwhacking. The SHR is being used more and more so if you go later in the season the use-trails are more worn. The key is to find the start of the trail at the bottom in the second recess. There used to be a duck that marked it.