MSR Sweetwater filter question

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Sp00ky
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

MSR Sweetwater filter question

Post by Sp00ky »

Carne_DelMuerto wrote:I just pulled out my MSR filter to clean and inspect and came across a crack on the interior of the filter. Looking in the literature and online I can't find anything that specifically says the filter is now compromised. Any experts here have some knowledge on the subject? Should I be looking for a replacement cartridge or is this nothing more than normal wear and tear? Thanks!
I know this an old thread but MSR says to replace when black mesh is visible. These filters get cracks quickly but I don't think a crack warrants a replacement.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: MSR Sweetwater filter question

Post by rlown »

Yes, it is an old thread.. Welcome to HST!

Umm, regardless of pump/filter system you choose, make sure its clean and crack free.. as pointed out, a 1mm crack is a huge filtration problem.

Does MSR have a general problem or is it just "sometimes"? Rogue, you said yours lasted 18 days in clear water. Had a friend in Oregon who's MSR lasted only 9 days.

I haven't seen that with the katydin pumps (only failure I've had was when a fellow packer stepped on it wrong and snapped the input valve off; we had 2).

Still a 3 year old thread. Sp00ky, pick a new thread to deal with.

Again, welcome,

Russ
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: MSR Sweetwater filter question

Post by maverick »

Hi SpOOky,

Welcome to HST! In the future please start you own thread instead of piggybacking off
another one. Thanks.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org