SEKI hike advice needed.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: SEKI hike advice needed.

Post by markskor »

Fallujah04 wrote: I just don't want to be above treeline that long (although I'm probably just being way over concerned.)
Personally prefer spending the majority of my Sierra hiking-time at or above timberline...
Higher is better Grasshopper.
Mountainman who swims with trout
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Fallujah04 wrote:
I forgot to mention that I've hiked the Shadow Lakes area in Mammoth growing up and
my buddy and I were caught in that "freak" snowstorm in Oct 19-22 of 04' that required
multiple SAR backpacker rescues. Luckily, we managed to hike out from Moose Lake, but
it sucked.
Thought I was familiar with most of the lakes in the Minarets, where is Moose lake?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

Fallujah you have a great trip planned. I was in just about all of these parts last year when I did a 110+ mile trip that took about 11 days. I definitely rushed through some areas, but since I was alone I could. And toward the end the being alone part started to get a bit daunting.. surprisingly I didn't see very many people on the entire trip. I started fairly early in the season. End of June into early July. Absolutely phenomenal trip.

You mention that when you get to Roaring River you have the choices of going back towards Ranger Lake, Up to Bubbs Creek to Roads End, or to Deadman Canyon and then to Mineral King. I would highly suggest going through Deadman Canyon to Mineral King. You will definitely not miss anything spectacular if you choose not to go to Ranger Lake. I have been on that stretch of trail and as others have pointed out it is dry dusty and gets quite hot. It was definitely my least favorite part of the trail last year. Going up to Bubbs Creek really means you're going to miss out one probably my favorite canyon in the Sierra. I've done many areas in the Northern Sierra and a few in the South and the beauty at Ranger Meadow is just staggering. If your wife loves meadows she will find it up to par. And the other highlight is the views descending Elizabeth Pass. Just unbelievable. You won't regret that. A word of caution... The trail on the south side of Elizabeth is a trail but it is easy to lose. There are many cairns there but to me it was a bit confusing and I lost the trail. Losing the trail there is not a big deal because you know you just need to head downhill until you reach the junction. Just be careful and pay attention.

Also on the topic of thunderstorms and lightning. I had my fair share of that weather last year in these parts. Nothing was so threatening that I had to turn back. Sometimes I had to wait it out an hour or so and then I continued along. Be cautious and remember your pace to know when you can reach a certain safe or safer spot.

Here's a few photos of Deadman Canyon and the views from Elizabeth:
DSC_4161.jpg
DSC_4170.jpg
DSC_4219.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by alpinemike on Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Ikan Mas »

I stand corrected on the bear canister requirements.

Do stop and smell the roses on this trip. The short hike up to Big Bird Lake is worth it and the brookies are fair sized for so high.
Fallujah04
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Fallujah04 »

Maverick - When I was little my dad took me on hikes up around Mammoth. I was hiking down in Sequoia for the first time when the storm hit. Moose Lake is up above Pear Lake further to the east. It had been so long ago that I had forgotten about that event. I had no idea until now what a dangerous situation that could have been if we tried to continue.

Markskor - I would prefer to stay above treeline as well, but I need to get over my irrational fear of lightning. I don't let it stop me from doing things I love, but it definitely causes me anxiety.

Alpinemike - Thanks for the recommendations and pictures! I'm definitely leaning toward Deadman's Canyon. Rae Lakes looks amazing though. I think we might just have to flip a coin. Lol.

I really appreciate everyone's advice.
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

If you would like any more info or advice on the Deadman Canyon/Cloud Canyon into Mineral King area trip feel free to PM me. I can tell you more about where to camp and any other logistical questions you may have. Since I often travel solo I plan all my trips myself and become intimately familiar with the areas and what they have to offer.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;