Mammoth Lakes Vacation, Advice Request

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sheperd80
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Mammoth Lakes Vacation, Advice Request

Post by sheperd80 »

Were planning to spend a few days in Mammoth Lakes this summer for a family vacation. We want to do a little of everything, stay in a cabin or hotel, hike, fish, horseback ride, etc. But the choices are staggering.

I was wondeing if any1 could point me towards a good website or even a travel agent where i can choose or put together an itinerary and pay off the trip in advance. Or just general advice on planning a trip there woud be helpful.

There will be four of us, 2 adults, a 16 yr old boy and an 8 yr old girl. We plan to stay for 3 nights as cheaply as possible and do as much as we can.

I realize this is kind of a broad and vague request. :-/ Thanks for any advice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Re: Mammoth Lakes Vacation, Advice Request

Post by cgundersen »

sheperd80,
There are plenty of condo rentals (from budget to luxury) that might work; I've typically stayed at economy lodgings in Mammoth before going backpacking, but I'm not sure I'd recommend them for a family vacation. The Best Western is a step up and OK. Mammoth has plenty of decent restaurants if you don't want to cook. From my perspective (just from having interacted with different groups on trails), your best bet for horseback riding would be McGee Creek (about 20 min from Mammoth toward Bishop). They are a pretty classy operation. For great short walks, just catch the trail that runs behind the Minarets Overlook (just before the road descends to Devil's Postpile) and walk up the hill (it's a jeep road) for increasingly spectacular panoramas. And, do catch the shuttle down for access to Devil's Postpile, Reds Meadow and Rainbow falls. Plenty of fishing opportunities in the lakes by Mammoth or in Convict, Crowley, etc. If you want a slightly more-ambitious hike, try the Duck Pass trail which skirts several lakes and leads to great views to the south when you hit the pass (maybe 4.5 miles and ~2,000 ft elevation gain). It'll kick your appetite up a notch!
cg
cg
sheperd80
Topix Regular

Post by sheperd80 »

Thanks for the reply Cg. So its sounds like i should just reserve a room and play the rest by ear when i get there.

Were really looking forward to it. Most of the time we'll all be together but im hoping i can break off for a dayhike at some point. We will definitely check out the vistas you mentioned too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

For an interesting side trip with the family, there are also hot springs by the airport. It can get crowded and does have a sulfur smell, but definitely an interesting side trip with the kids.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

http://www.visitmammoth.com/things-to-d ... ctivities/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.mammothrentalbyowner.com/mam ... php?id=254" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We rent this out :D
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
papasequoia
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by papasequoia »

If these rates from Snow Nymph's condo are still in effect or even close, stay there!

Summer Rates: May - November

Weekdays (Sun - Thur) starting at 70/night

Weekends (Fri - Sat) starting at 90/night

That's what an even halfway decent hotel is going to cost you, but you have the comfort of your own place plus you can cook some or all of your meals and save yourself restaurant bills. Condo stays are great compared to hotels. Meals will cost you just the price of food, just as if you were at home. Breakfast in the condo and prepare your lunch sandwiches there and you save on a restaurant bill for each day x 4 people. Eat some or all of your dinners at a condo and you save a restaurant dinner x 4 bill. All in all, it can't be beat for a family looking to save some bucks unless you stay in a campground.

Get the free Sierra Menus mag at Vons and elsewhere to see prices and menus of restaurants in case you do want to eat out.

Visit the visitor's center near Shady Rest campground (just before the first light you come to as you drive into town). They have tons of information there, from books about hikes in the area to rangers who can help you tailor a hike to the abilities of your family. There are many family friendly hikes in the area including short, medium and long with many ending at lakes.

You might also consider a visit to the "ghost town" of Bodie which is fun for both adults and kids. It's about an hour (?) from Mammoth. Have fun!
Nature always wins
> miles = < people
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

Mammoth is small, and yet the tourist information/infrastructure is really good. Really great town map; free shuttles around; etc.

So yes, you could probably simply just make hotel reservations now, and figure out everything else after you've arrived.

Don't stress about it.

I believe there is a very inexpensive (by industry standards) guided kayaking tour of Mono Lake. Something like $25/person for 2 hours. You'll have to google it, as I don't recall who offers it.

- Elizabeth
Talimon
Topix Acquainted

Post by Talimon »

I highly recommend Crystal Crag Lodge, for a family stay. Beautiful location on Lake Mary, just removed enough from Mammoth to feel secluded, but close enough for resupplying. There are dozens of great trail-heads just minutes drive away. The cabins have grills for BBQ, and you can rent a boat to fish or just relax on the lake. The cabins are a hair rustic, but for a stay in the mountains that is what you want.
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

I love Crystal Crag Lodge, but unless their policy has changed, they require a one week stay during the summer, as do many other lodges, such as Rock Creek. I would highly recommend trying to find a cabin in the Mammoth Lakes Basin that does rent for shorter times, it's so much nicer than staying in a motel in town, and some are within walking distance to several trailheads for day hiking. June Lake may be more flexible, they really took a big hit last year.
bluefintu
Topix Regular

Post by bluefintu »

Hi Shepered80,

I would recommend renting a condo to save money. Condos are stocked with all the cooking equipment, plates, cups, pots and pans, etc... To save money, bring your own food and put it in the refrigerator. Snow Nymph offered her condo, you may want to take a look at that.

I've been going to Mammoth for over 40 years and I've stayed at many places in Mammoth. Renting a condo is the way to go and so much more comfortable. I've stayed at Motel 6 many times, some were for a fishing trip (1 night) and mostly a last minute ski trip. It's a room with two beds and a bathroom and that's it.

For something to do, a hike to Devil Postpile and Rainbow Falls is very easy and maybe a must do while in the area. Go early if you do this. If I can come up with more info, I'll post more.

Have fun in the best place in the world !!!!

Don