Standard Camping Meals

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Standard Camping Meals

Post by InsaneBoost »

Was wondering if I could get some typical camping meals for your average camps at a campground. While my girlfriend and I are planning to do some lengthy hikes this summer, we're taking her mother, brother, and her brothers three kids (9,8,6) to Big Sur in a few weeks for a couple of days to camp (if you serious campers even want to consider it that).

Trying to get some good easy food ideas that would go with kids. We'll be there for two dinners, one lunch, and two breakfasts. Are your average meals, hamburgers, hotdogs, etc just the best idea? Was thinking eggs, pancakes and bacon/sausage for breakfast. Just your typical things that are more kid-friendly.

Any ideas? Stuff that's easier to make over other stuff?

I have one of the Coleman Roadtrip Grills I used to use tailgating at football games which I plan on using there, considering we're not in the woods or anything. I'll have the typical standard grates, as well as a stove top burner (thinking can make tea/coffee) and a flat top (for pancakes, eggs, bacon/sausage).

Also possibly considering bringing the cooker I have for doing seafood boils, but that's up in the air depending on what we're going to cook and how much room we have.

Thanks!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Standard Camping Meals

Post by maverick »

Since you car camping it allows much greater flexibility on what you can
prepare. With kids I would ask them to write up a wish list of what they
would like and prepare accordingly, this way everyone will be happy.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

For such a short trip, some people make almost everything ahead and just bring meat for grilling. That way there basically is no cooking. For example, breakfast: bacon & eggs (eggs already shelled and mixed with goodies put in a Tupperware container) with store bought muffins; lunch- sandwiches already made or just buy store deli sandwiches en route, pot of potato or pasta salad, some fruit; dinner, hamburgers, already cooked potatoes/fries that are just warmed up on the grill, three bean salad.

With kids, you HAVE to have the hot dogs and roast the marshmellows! Smores! If kids are 5 and under, I would do the smores mid-day. We once did smores for our grandkids after dinner and they got the "sugar hypers" and would not go to bed. Keep it simple. Some kids will only do their favorite cold cereal. That's OK too. Have plenty of trail bars or other easy snacks. I do not see camping as much different from a backyard BBQ where you aim to keep it simple and easy clean up.

Although you are not backpacking, minimizing the equipment and keeping the food simple is a lot less work. I have seen people at campgrounds spend half a day just lugging all their stuff to the table and setting up the campsite. If you have a large cooler, one big chunk of ice will last longer than cubes.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

We always bring potatos, onions, and garlic and combo that with sausage or bacon for breakfasts and/or ground beef for lunch or dinners. cook with oil/butter/tin foil. Chili dogs or bugers is the way to go if you are going that route.

Pre-prepped shish ka bobs are another staple of ours. Endless options there but we like lots of onions, peppers, and mushrooms with a little marinated beef or chicken. That way in camp you just toss them on the grill, no prep, mo mess, no dirty dishes.

Preprepped salads, chicken salad sandwiches, chicken ceasar salad wraps ect....
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

sparky wrote:We always bring potatos, onions, and garlic and combo that with ground beef for lunch or dinners. cook with oil/butter/tin foil
I will second this! We throw bell peppers in the mix and everyone can assemble their foil packet according to their own taste.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by InsaneBoost »

Excellent responses, really helped me out even more than I thought. Just goes to show when you think you have everything down, you really don't. :lol:
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

Hobo dinners are always good! I've done them backpacking with the Scouts!

How about a Dutch oven full of chicken drumsticks and thighs covered with barbeque sauce. Serve with rice and rolls.

And dirty potatoes for breakfast. In the Dutch oven cook up some bacon and sausage, add some onion and bell peppers, and then hash brown potatoes. While it's all cooking, whisk up some eggs and add them to the mix, along with some grated cheese. Cover and add coals on the top and bake until the eggs are done. Serve with warmed tortillas, more cheese and salsa
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

My grandkids always go for mac and cheese, add bacon or whatever to make it especially yummy.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Hors d'oeuvre - Aged Gouda cheese and crackers...maybe some Wasabi peas

Libation - Lil 151, crystal lite pink lemonade, and slushy ice

Dinner - a 2-pound trout with a side of angel hair pasta ( + sautéed garlic, wild onions, red pepper flakes, a drizzle of olive oil and grated Asiago cheese)...

Dessert - chunk of dark chocolate and a generous slog of Grand Mariner
Mountainman who swims with trout
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

markskor wrote:Hors d'oeuvre - Aged Gouda cheese and crackers...maybe some Wasabi peas

Libation - Lil 151, crystal lite pink lemonade, and slushy ice

Dinner - a 2-pound trout with a side of angel hair pasta ( + sautéed garlic, wild onions, red pepper flakes, a drizzle of olive oil and grated Asiago cheese)...

Dessert - chunk of dark chocolate and a generous slog of Grand Mariner
Kid meals for camping, Mark. Kids. :) They would be happy kids after your 151 and GM.

I like the mac and cheese Idea, with bacon. As long as it doesn't end up as a mushy pasta dish.

Everyone is spot on about breakfast with the eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns, if you're not in a hurry to get out of camp in the AM. Steak and pasta is always a hit for dinner.