130 Days in the Sierra

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: 130 Days in the Sierra

Post by JWreno »

I look forward to the time in my life when I can consider 100 days in the Sierra scaling back. Trying to stay fit enough so I can do these kinds of trips after I retire in about 9 more years. Right now I am happy to get out for a 3 week trip every 3 years and about a week a year in between. I see the snow covered ridge of the Carson spur of the Sierras from my office window so I am always wanting to get out on another trip. Fortunately I live close enough for a modest drive to the trailhead when the time is available.
Jeff
justm
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by justm »

Thanks for the great description of your trek up to Edith lake. I want to get there someday. I look forward to your next TR !
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by schmalz »

RoguePhotonic wrote:Mostly because of limited funds but also because I just need to be working more I have scaled back this years hike to doing 100 days.
This made me laugh.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Yeah not working leads to limited funds lol. I just haven't saved as much as I should but even if I had all the money I could want I just need to work more so I can buy a vehicle. Turning 30 is a good age to start driving for the first time lol
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Rogue, you did not include a picture of Letora Lake. I was there last year as well, just before the major fires broke out. Still, there was smoke from southern California. So, below, some more context for your TR.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

The parts of it I saw were not picturesque as I recall in the morning light so I did not take any photos of it. Sometimes I will take photos only for documentation purposes but other wise I think I have a decent eye for photos which keeps me from taking many thousands of images more than I normally might.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I camped at Latora Lake and it is very photogenic in some lighting conditions. I got some fair photos. However, the trail has very limited views and unless you camp there, it is hard to get good photos or even realize the photo opportunities. By the way, it is really rough to walk around that lake! I camped half way down the south shore and it was an ordeal to get there. Off trail in northern Yosemite can get rough so you can really get away from people with some effort. Doyle, your photos are great - better than mine. Thanks for sharing them.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Doyle, your photos are great - better than mine. Thanks for sharing them.
Thanks! Sometimes you are just in the right place at the right time. The 'Magic Hours' are always nice, but sometimes "bad" weather and smoke can make for some nice/interesting pictures. Here for example, the southern California smoke that blew in was unpleasant, but it helped give my pictures some nice depth of field, not to mention an impressive "Red Dawn". Ya gotta take what nature gives you. :nod:
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;