TR - 10 Days on the SHR - More pictures than words

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Ryanoa
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: TR - 10 Days on the SHR - More pictures than words

Post by Ryanoa »

Thanks for all the comments...

cgundersen...I had considered Dumbbell/Cataract in the planning stages but didn't want to miss Frozen Lake Pass. We didn't run into any significant weather the whole trip. At least nothing that made us consider detouring. We took the standard route from Laurel Lake over Shout of Relief, but I totally agree with you...Grinnell is spectacular! I have visited it many times previously, so wasn't feeling the need to again on this trip.

WD...Going from sea level to the basin beyond Grouse Lake (11,000ft) in the span of 12 hours had some residual effects :) By the time we reached Palisade Lake on the 3rd day I was fighting a bit of nausea and decided that bypassing the Dusy Basin section would give me some time to recover. Definitely regret that move, but I plan on revisiting that section in the future.

SSSdave...I'm a little bit embarrassed to say that these were taken with a little Canon point-and-shoot. I couldn't even tell you the model. I just purchased an EOS M that I will be taking with me for the last 2 sections this July.

iHartMK...Thanks! No, they aren't for purchase, but I would be happy to send you an original of any that you like. Just PM me. Again...these are just from a piece of crap point-and-shoot that I doctored with Light Room.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

One of the biggest factors in my decision to do the SHR north-to-south was to avoid that difficult first-day elevation gain. I ended up doing a weird flip-flop combination of: Twin Lakes to Mammoth, then North Lake to Mammoth, then Roads End to North Lake. It mostly boiled down to transportation logistics and accommodating my husband - he joined me the middle section and only had certain days he could help with transportation. By the time I did the big elevation gain Road's end I was totally acclimated; I reached Grouse Lake at 1PM and camped just below Goat Crest!

If I were to do it again, I would thru-hike it north-to-south. The best thing about north-to-south is that you can pick up food at Tuolumne Meadows, thus start with an amazingly light pack. I also prefer to go up the generally steeper north side of passes. North-to-south puts most of the harder parts at the end of your trip. In his book, Roper lists several reasons he prefers south-to-north. Roper is however, very sparse on logistical details.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

ryanoa,
Clearly, that little Canon camera you used does a lot better than some of the pricier gear my wife has tried. Anyway, I understand the shout-of-relief choice, but just out of curiosity, what was it about Frozen Lakes pass that you didn't want to miss? Aside from Wandering Daisy, I've not heard too many people waxing poetic about that route. I've gone over Vennacher col a couple times, and have eyeballed both sides of Frozen Lake, but have never gone over. Should it go on the bucket list?
Thanks,
cg
themappist
Topix Acquainted

TR - 10 Days on the SHR - More pictures than words

Post by themappist »

I went over Frozen Lake in mid-Sept. I had been very apprehensive but it turned out to be one of the highlights of our trip. Difficulty is highly overrated if you ask me. But I realize that is all relative to one's experience and skills.
Ryanoa
Topix Novice

Post by Ryanoa »

I agree...Frozen Lake Pass is overrated. At least without any snow on it. I didn't want to miss it just for the reputation it has. I wanted to see what the all the hubbub was about. The endless talus on the east side was the most difficult part in my opinion. I wouldn't consider it a bucket list pass...If I were to do the route again, I would take the Dumbell/Cataract detour.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Dumbbell-Cataract route is overall more difficult than Frozen Lake-Mather Pass. However if you have the skills for one, you should be able to do the other. It depends on conditions and what you want to see. I went over Cataract in basically no-snow conditions- it was quite easy. If I recall, Rogue hit it in a high snow year and rated it very difficult. Same with Frozen Lake. If the upper chute is snow filled, it could be risky and you would need an ice axe. It also depends if you prefer to see Dumbbell Basin and Amphitheater Lake, vs Upper Basin and Palisade Lakes. However if you choose Dumbbell-Cataract and want to continue on the SHR through Barrett Basin you would have to backtrack up to Palisade Lake to reconnect with the route.

Either route, going north-south is a bit easier, in my opinion. I would rather go UP the steep stuff than down, especially if I have to do steep snow. Part of this is due to old knees. Steep unstable downhill is a formula for injury for me. The correct routes up Cataract and Dumbbell are easier to find going north-to-south.

If I were doing the SHR, and choose Dumbbell-Cataract route, I would backtrack to still do the route through Barrett Basin-Dusy Basin. Otherwise you are missing a BIG part of the SHR.

I have gone over Cartridge Pass but not the passes between Cartridge and Frozen Lake so really cannot comment on these.
scottg1178
Topix Acquainted

Post by scottg1178 »

Great photos....Thanks for the report!!!

-Scott
marymaryland
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by marymaryland »

Great photos of what looked like an incredible trip-- 10 days in the High Sierra don't get much better than that!