TR - 10 Days on the SHR - More pictures than words

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR - 10 Days on the SHR - More pictures than words

Post by Bluewater »

Awesome trip and photos. Thanks for posting your TR! I really appreciate the one of Laurel Lake Valley (that is as far as I've made it on the SHR so far). . . and the one from the top of Snow Tongue really gets the feel of that steep north side. How was your experience with the Tenkara? Did you catch many fish?
Ryanoa
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Ryanoa »

Bluewater wrote:Awesome trip and photos. Thanks for posting your TR! I really appreciate the one of Laurel Lake Valley (that is as far as I've made it on the SHR so far). . . and the one from the top of Snow Tongue really gets the feel of that steep north side. How was your experience with the Tenkara? Did you catch many fish?
Snow Tongue is definitely steep...for me the worse part was the endless talus below :)

It's tough to pick out just one favorite spot on a trip like this, but Laurel Valley is definitely up there on the list. I've been there a half a dozen times now and never get sick of it.

I've been fly fishing for many years now, but this trip was my first experience with Tenkara...I loved it. It's a perfect fit for the type of fishing encountered on a trip like this and fits right in with my ultralight kit. When we did fish, we caught plenty.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Superb photos. Thanks.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

As the old saying goes: "A picture is worth a thousand words."

I use the photos people post to get ideas for future trips; so I really appreciate the beautiful photos of your trip you have posted here.
offpump
Topix Novice

Post by offpump »

Nice work, your photos are wonderful. I especially liked the shot of the alpenglow. :)
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

ryanoa,
As at least one other person noted, this was a very ambitious itinerary. As my mind's eye was walking up Copper Creek on day 1 with a full pack, it was clear that you guys were serious when you steamed right by Grouse Lake. And, you didn't let up the rest of the way; very impressive swath of countryside that you covered! At the same time, it looks like you had your gear pared down to the functional basics.
But, I was sort of curious why you went for Frozen lake pass versus the Dumbbell/Cataract col segment. And, there were a few clouds in some of your photos, but compared with what I was looking at in Big Pine Creek during the same period, you guys apparently managed to escape relatively unscathed. I'm also assuming that you took the standard westerly route out of Laurel Creek basin to reach Fish Creek via Shout-of-Relief. Just for my 5 cents on the topic, Grinnell Lake is sufficiently spectacular that it would be my preference to head that way and then traverse the ridge between Grinnell and Red and White Lake, but who's quibbling? Any way you cut it, it was an amazing trip.
cg
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Thanks for showing the pictures. Not sure what you meant by "skipped Dusy". I did the Golden Staircase this summer for the first time and it is very scenic; I would still rate Barrett Basin and through Dusy as too spectacular to miss. When I did the SHR, ever time I got on the JMT, I absolutely hated it. It is just a shock to get on a crowded trail after being off trail for days.

There are pros and cons of going fast vs slower. If you are young and in good shape, at least you have the choice! We old retired folks, are pretty much in the slow lane, however with no deadlines to return to work we can do the route at a snail's pace. Just want to say to the slower hikers out there, no reason you cannot also do this route. The scenery is the same whether you do it in 10 days or 20.
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

Great photos. Thanks for the inspiration.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Long trail days with considerable vertical. Nice set of images, well done. Ought to add what photo gear you were using.
iHartMK
Topix Regular

Post by iHartMK »

Amazing photos! Are they for purchase by any chance??
Living On Kaweah Time