Planning for my 2014 trek

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Planning for my 2014 trek

Post by RoguePhotonic »

That's my plan on Glacier Ridge. Even though it looks like I will have to cross the pass and drop down 700 feet or so I plan to then hike to the upper most lake and camp there. I want to make sure to visit all of the lakes there.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I'm thinking this to connect above:

September 7 - 73 - Lone Pine Creek
September 8 - 74 - Glacier Lake
September 9 - 75 - Climb Triple Divide Peak & relocate to Lake 11,110
September 10 - 76 - Lake 10,600
September 11 - 77 - Kern Hotspring
September 12 - 78 - Layover
September 13 - 79 - Moraine Lake
September 14 - 80 - Lake 11,800
September 15 - 81 - Climb Red Kaweah
September 16 - 82 - Climb Black Kaweah
September 17 - 83 - set camp on Big Arroyo & climb Eagle Scout Peak
September 18 - 84 - Climb Lippincott Mt.
September 19 - 85 - 9 Mile Creek
September 20 - 86 - Lodgepole
September 21 - 87 - Layover

I'd probably go to Glacier Lake over Elizabeth and Copper Mine Passes. Then over Triple Divide and Wildflower Passes onto Picket Guard Creek. Then back up to Lake 11,800 to take another shot at Red and Black Kaweahs.

I'm still working on what would be the final 2 weeks of the trip.
themappist
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by themappist »

We met on the trail in mid-September 2013, you were heading to Kern Hot Springs then too. Is this a regular destination for you in Sept? I'm planning on climbing triple divide peak around the same time, accessing it via Colby. Might run into you again on the trail this year.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Was that at Wallace Creek? There were two groups there that knew me.

As for the Kern Hotspring I wouldn't say I plan to go there on any time frame really. It always seems to be more of a connector point than any specific planned place to go. After covering so much of the Sierra allot of places I end up at are connectors.

I do love staying there but it's always hit or miss with how crowded it is. I have stayed there in mid September for 3 nights without anyone else camping or I have been there when there were people everywhere.

This last summer the first night I went in I had to wait until about 11:30PM before the spring was free. The next night I didn't even bother since there were so many.
themappist
Topix Acquainted

Post by themappist »

Yes, it was at Wallace.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I think this might be my extreme end to the hike:

September 22 - 88 - Sugarloaf Creek
September 23 - 89 - Cement Table Meadow
September 24 - 90 - Lake 11,500
September 25 - 91 - Climb Midway Mountain
September 26 - 92 - Climb Centennial Peak & camp in Milestone Bowl
September 27 - 93 - Climb Milestone Mountain
September 28 - 94 - Climb Table Mountain & camp at lake 11,920
September 29 - 95 - Lake 11,530
September 30 - 96 - Layover
October 1 - 97 - Climb Kern Point
October 2 - 98 - Kern Hotspring
October 3 - 99 - Forester Lake
October 4 - 100 - Spring Lake
October 5 - 101 - Middle Fork Kaweah
October 6 - 102 - Lodgepole

So I would climb Midway from the West at the lake above Colby. I then would climb Centennial Peak from Colby Pass. Milestone would be from Milestone Bowl. Then cross Milestone Pass to do Table Mountain. Then hike South to the lake below Kern Point to climb it from there. Then drop to the Kern and move all the way down to the Rattlesnake Creek trail. I'd make my way to Amphitheater Lake where I would climb Sawtooth peak from the SE slope with my full pack. Then drop down to the Pass and go out over Glacier Pass to Spring Lake. Then drop down Cliff Creek to the trail and make my way out.

I still need to do more research on Kern Point as Secor's book only talks about Kern Ridge and the West slopes being class 2. It says nothing about the Eastern side.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Rogue, I don't know if you've posed this, how many miles a day do you typically hike?
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Sometimes there is more information on various routes in climber.org than you can find in Secor's book. Milestone basin is a great place to camp. Just a warning- I was there last August and the meadow I planned to camp at was bone dry. The main creek and the lakes will have water. I am sure you already know this, but there is a good use-trail all the way up Milestone Creek from the main trail.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Well I typically hike 10-15 on trail and maybe 5-7 cross country. It all depends on terrain but I think after these past years I have a pretty good grasp on how far I can go in a day. I still make a few mistakes though and over plan.

As for routes yeah I will do allot more research this year. I need some detailed notes and photos for Table Mountain for sure. Secor makes it sound very complicated to stay on a class 3 route.

In 2010 I lost the trail on the Kern and actually ended up following the trail that was headed up Milestone Creek for a couple hundred yards before I knew it was wrong. I then bailed cross country and found the trail again in the middle of some switch backs.
fourputt
Topix Acquainted

Post by fourputt »

In his book, Phil Arnot provides a detailed description of his route up to Josephine Lake from Cement Table Meadow ...
As much as I appreciate Arnot's enthusiasm, I can't recommend trying to follow many of his route descriptions.