Osprey Aether 60!!!

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Toyotatech
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Osprey Aether 60!!!

Post by Toyotatech »

Been lurking for a while and decided to break in here. Tonight I went to REI in fresno and wanted to try on a few packs I had researched. Pulled the trigger on the Osprey Aether 60 as it seemed to fit me well with a load. Been using a badlands 2800 for the last two years as I like to hunt in the backcountry a couple times a year and I have decided to enjoy backpacking in another capacity. Wanted something with some more space and like the adjustability/versatility this pack seemed to offer. Now to load it up and take a nice little hike and see if it's all I hope it will be!!!! Anybody with reviews they would care to share? Seemed well reviewed online and was excited to see that it fit me as well as it did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Re: Osprey Aether 60!!!

Post by The Other Tom »

Welcome to HST, toyotatech ! I don't have that pack so I can't comment but it sounds like you did your homework. Looking forward to you trip reports when you get out there.
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Osprey Aether 60!!!

Post by Bluewater »

Welcome toyotatech. I have used the Aether 70 and I like the heavy duty suspension, stretchable side pockets and the molded hip belt. The warming process to get a custom fit on the hip belt is a nice touch. Although it is a comfortable luxury load hauler I've switched to a smaller/lighter weight setup lately, but for larger heavy loads it doesn't get much better IMHO. Look forward to hearing more about your experience with it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Never used one but, my good hiking buddy carries one -
He seems to bi-tch more when day 1, fully loaded - :-({|=

As I understand, he likes it so much he bought two of the same pack,
Unfortunately, one is always in for repairs, thus two needed.

He states it does well up to 35 pounds; make sure to carry along a big needle and strong thread.
Mountainman who swims with trout
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Snowtrout »

Great purchase!!
I have the Aether 70 and my wife has the Ariel 75 and we both love these packs. Once you get the Velcro torso adjustment set right, while under load, it is very comfortable. The pack can easily support 35 lbs of gear (most for us) but I'm sure it could handle 45-50. Material wise, we have had no problems with holes or stitching but we do not really abuse our gear. If any issues did happen, I'm sure osprey would fix the issue.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

I think the Aether 60 is a fine pack but a little heavy for me. Bought the Atmos 65 last year as a slightly heavier but more comfortable version of the Exos 58. Problem with the Atmos 65 is that the side pockets are useless if the pack is stuffed full. Atmos 65 is 18 oz lighter than the Aether 60 and 17 oz heavier than the Exos 58 in size medium. I'm planning on getting side pockets of the Atmos modified so I can slide a waterbottle on one side and my fishing rod case on the other.

I've carried over 50 lbs in the Exos 58 but it just isn't designed for that much weight. Heaviest my Atmos 65 was last year was 48 on the start of a 15 day trip.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Post by Ikan Mas »

How well does it take a bear canister?
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

I've been using an Aether 70 for the past ~7 years. The design looks pretty much the same today except they've added some zippered pockets to the hip belt which I would have appreciated on mine. I really like the large stretchy pocket on the back to put layered clothing in without having to open up the entire pack. The pack fits me well and has mostly held up well. The bottom shows more abrasion wear than the cordura bottom of my previous and very old and heavy TNF backpack but this doesn't concern me much. If the size and weight of the Aether 60 pack meets your requirements and it fits you well, go for it! My Garcia bearcan fits neatly across the bottom of the 70 pack with a little space on the sides to stuff some extra clothes. Can't speak for the Aether 60. Since I'm working on reducing my total pack weight, I'll probably end up retiring my Aether 70 soon though.
Toyotatech
Topix Newbie

Osprey Aether 60!!!

Post by Toyotatech »

Awesome replies guys, I knew I liked this place!!! I loaded it with my gear last night, everything but a few clothing articles and water. Leaves me plenty of room over my old pack and when I throw it on, I hardly notice the weight. Has quite a bit of adjustability and I played with the torso length a bit since it's a bit heavier than in store. The only thing I see potentially bothering me is the shoulder straps hit my shoulders kind of wired. Almost like the padding isn't long enough, as the strap adjustment buckle hits me a little high. Don't know if there is much I can do but I walked around a short ways with it and that was just a little weird to me.

FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

Toyotatech wrote:The only thing I see potentially bothering me is the shoulder straps hit my shoulders kind of wired. Almost like the padding isn't long enough, as the strap adjustment buckle hits me a little high. Don't know if there is much I can do but I walked around a short ways with it and that was just a little weird to me.
If the new version is like the prior version then you can order a larger shoulder strap setup ("IsoForm Harness") from Osprey or authorized dealers (REI new version here: http://www.rei.com/product/846428/ospre ... traps-mens or older version here: http://www.rei.com/product/807348/?cm_m ... 8073480025) I have the '09 version and did exactly this. You simply undue all the webbing straps that connect the shoulder straps to the pack and undue the Velco adjustment and slide it out. The padded portions of the shoulder straps are about 2" longer overall and the "S" curve shape also accounts for the added length. Might be worth a try.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.