advice on a new tent

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
RichardNixon06
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: advice on a new tent

Post by RichardNixon06 »

@sparky that tent requires the hiking poles to set up right?
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Post by Ikan Mas »

How much you want to spend on a good tent also probably reflects how much $ and time you are putting into your vacation. If you are just doing weekends, and will bail if it turns rainy, then your tent may not be too important. Your'e only out a night. You can head back to the truck and drive home if it rains. You're not pushing the limits of what your pack will carry and can manage the extra pound or two.

However, if you're like me and your vacation time is precious (hard to get away from work, plane ticket, etc.) and you're spending a week deep in the wilderness with a full pack where bailing is not a consideration, then you should probably make the investment in a tent that will be comfortable for a week and is light weight. Once I'm committed to a trip, I'm going, rain or shine, and I have to be ready for what Mother Nature throws at me and no whining. With a full bear canister of food for the week and fishing gear, I'm running around 45 pounds in the pack. I really don't want anymore weight. Hence I'm going to buy a better tent.

I make it a point to hike early so if there is an afternoon thunderstorm, I'm not on the trail getting soaked. Instead, I roll into camp a couple hours after lunch and get set up. Sure, I'd rather be fishing, but if instead I have to deal with an afternoon squall I consider it a great excuse for a good nap. So having that good tent to snooze in and keep my gear dry on those few wet days is pretty important to me.

I also think that if I went with a tarp tent, besides being reluctant to set it up, that my sleeping bag would be pretty dirty after a week. I'm not a dirt freak, but I make a point of keeping things clean so they last longer, both on the trip and over the item's life. I tend to slide out of just a tarp, getting the end of my bag wet and dirty. Doesn't work for me.

I'm really happy with my Big Agnes, but I see how expensive they've gotten. That said, there seem to be good lightweight tents out there for less than $200 at REI.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

I have to say, after going from tent to tent for the past seven years in search of my alpine shelter of choice, I've found a safe haven in the Lightheart Solo. Space, double wall, ample ventilation, and the tent survived a deluge in Evolution without a leak. It has the side entry I like and I can actually stand inside on the tent floor in sock feet before stepping into my shoes due to the angle of the canopy.

The ultimate foul weather shelter and keep-it-clean option is the hammock - however, I do like the Lightheart for being less than 2 lbs and weather worthy. I've gotten rid of a Tarptent Sublite Sil, Sierra Designs, etc and settled on this one. My criteria were specific and it absolutely had to be lighter than the hammock - it's one of the few that managed to do that.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Thanks for that review! The Lightheart Solo may be my next tent.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Richard,
All Skyscape models utilize a dual (trekking or optional fixed length 45" or 115 cm) pole support structure, slightly offset from the center of the tent
The Skyscape employs Hybrid Double Wall construction. Over 80% of the canopy is separated from you by a mesh wall, keeping that wet canopy at bay.
a nice 34 oz tent for $125 is a pretty darn good deal

I am also shopping for a new tent. Maybe I should look at hammocks again....
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Does anyone know if the new double wall Tarptent Moment has two separate units (fly and tent) or are the two connected in such a way that you cannot separate them? I cannot tell from the photos on their website and specifications do not clearly indicate this.

Lori- is your Lightheart Solo the standard or a custom made one? What is the advantage of getting the custom made?
RichardNixon06
Topix Novice

Post by RichardNixon06 »

Yea that lightheart solo looks like a good tent but I don't want to pay extra for stuff that I don't need. Is it worth it to get the custom or the solong 6 or are they just luxuries?
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

WD

The Momement is a true double wall tent. Check out the instructions at Then hit specifications then set up and it shows that you can set up the either the fly or the netting separately. I'd be interested myself except I don't think 25" wide exped downmat would fit without pushing out the walls at the corners.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Thanks for the information. I guess I should have poked around on their website more. I currently use the single wall Moment and for me, it is too big if anything. I like the tent; hate the condensation - mainly because if I turn the tent inside-out to dry, it is a real pain to figure out how to get it right side out. It is shaped so that it is really hard to dry - nothing really hangs straight- numerous little tucked in areas that do not dry. Basically I have to re-set it up mid day to dry it out. Big pain. The zipper is broken so I am now trying to decide to replace or repair. I am not sure I want to put up with another year fighting the condensation either.

Also, does anyone know if any tent has mosquito netting that has bug repellant in it? My mosquito head net has the repellent -smells a bit odd but does work. Right now I can have 100 mosquitoes sitting on the tent netting ready to attack the minute I have to go out! I am a bit leery of spraying the netting with repellant - I think if it got on the sil-nylon it would do damage. I am planning on being in mosquito conditions for about a month this summer.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Moment DW looks good especially with the double wall, dual entry and
two vestibules, but my Rainbow weighs the same, has more interior room,
and costs almost $30 less.
Here is a good thread on the Lightheart: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr ... heart-Tent" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org