Malpais Mesa pics

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Malpais Mesa pics

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

Great pics on both days, Trailtrekker!!! Interesting rock in the Malpais area; if I remember anything from my days as a geology major, the reddish rock indicates a high iron content. Those kind of areas have always been interesting to me; I used to stop along the roadway on 395 when I first started driving it to the Sierra. Maybe I need to plan a hike in the area! :nod:

That claim marker is interesting; kind of wild west era. I didn't know they still do that kind of stuff. :-k
wingding

Post by wingding »

I really enjoyed your pictures TT - that's an area I've been wanting to check out.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

I love the joshua trees with the Sierra in the background. That was a cool hike! I tested my trek talonz (earlier version) there and lost one in the first hour. You didn't see a wierd metal thingie with 4 prongs, did you?

That boxcar cabin was cool, was that near the mine? I didn't see anything like that, maybe I missed it? :(
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

No Trek Talons out there and the only animal I saw out there was one BIG A$$ jack rabbit who could have been wearing trek talons as his shoes. Serioulsy, this guy was small dog size!
The cabin was farther up the road (north). Pretty neat.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

One of those jumped out in front of me at Mono Lake. There was snow on the ground so I measured its tracks. It was 10 of my steps (toe to heel steps) from where it jumped out to where it landed, and my boot was 10".

Gotta go! Late for work again!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;