advice on a new tent

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
RichardNixon06
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

advice on a new tent

Post by RichardNixon06 »

Im looking for a tent for this season. I want one that's light weight but not to expensive somewhere in the range of $150. Looking for a one man tent but I'll consider a two man tent if its light enough. I was looking at the eureka spitfire but I heard they have issues with leaking in anything more than a drizzle. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Re: advice on a new tent

Post by gary c. »

I've had my Spitfire for 7-8yrs and have had no problems in some pretty good downpours. I don't know where you read your reviews but Trailspace is my go to source. Here are the reviews on that site.
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/eureka/s ... eview12991" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

There is so much tent experience on this forum it's not funny. There's this thread going on now: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10648" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't tell you to search "tent" because, well, it would be impossible to read all the threads.

One way to figure out a tent is to hang out with others with tents and "try them out". Do the walk thru. Then pick 3-6 and read the reviews.

Mark once said most lightweight two man tents are a one man tent. Lots of room at a low weight. I totally agree.

I carry a tarptent double rainbow. Love it. My friend has a North Face 2 man that I actually like better, but they don't make them anymore. (better zippers than the tarptent).

Other things to consider. Side entry. Vestibules. one or two wall. free standing or staked. You already covered weight.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

If you can save up more money it will be worth it. If you can add another 100$ to your budget it will open up MANY more possibilities. I cant say enough good things about tarptent. High quality, lightweight, and cheaper than other ultralight tent manufacturers.
RichardNixon06
Topix Novice

Post by RichardNixon06 »

Alright thanks guys that information is really helpful. I think I'll just stick with the spitfire for now. 250 is a little to much for me right now especially since I need to buy several things this year. Maybe in a few seasons I'll take a look at something with more bells and whistles.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Wow! I actually didn't know that tent was that light. Pretty dark good. With just a quick glance at one thread I saw someone mention the floor fabric has a low HH rating...which honestly wont matter much in the Sierra.

Check out the six moon designs skyscape scout

austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

R Nixon
PM sent
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I too am looking for a new tent. My tarptent Moment has had many nights out, zipper is broken and it is just time to replace it. The tent has been weather-worthy but the condensation problems have always been very annoying. If I buy another single wall tent, it will have two doors to aid in ventilation.

I have been looking at tent reviews. The most discouraging thing is that most popular tents only rate a "5" or less out of "10" for weather worthiness. Now in my old fashioned opinion, why on earth would you even carry a tent if not to protect you from weather? People seem to be more interested in weight, roominess, bells and whistles, and ease of setting up. Any tent that is not weather-worthy, is out of my consideration, regardless of how wonderful they rate on other criteria.

A lower priced tent can still be quite good, but rarely will a $150 tent be light. If however, you are just starting out and low on funds, young and strong, the extra weight should not be a big deal. After some experience backpacking, and after saving some money, you probably will replace your starter tent with a lighter one. By then, you will have some experience that will help you choose the right tent. Most important, get a tent and go out there and start having fun!
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

WD

I've given up on single wall tents because on those rainy nights when condensation is inevitable you can't roll them up with out getting everything wet or waiting forever for stuff to dry out. So I have resigned myself to a double wall, mosquito netting plus removeable fly. That way I can roll the main tent up by folding in half before rolling up. then rolling the fly up separately. Then dry things out when I make camp or if still nasty at least the floor is dry. Best alternative for me so far has been the Big Agnes Flycreek 1, though it is getting more and more difficult to crawl in and out the end. Dread having to go for the more convenient Copper Spur 1 but may have to. The Copper Spur 3 works great when I hike with Kathy.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
RichardNixon06
Topix Novice

Post by RichardNixon06 »

Yea the extra weight is just more of an inconvenience then a real problem. Im 25 and in pretty good shape. I have a cheapo tent that's about 6lbs that I took last year on a 4 day 30 mile loop in the mammoth lakes area and by the end of each day I was pretty beat. So this year I'm trying to drop some weight.