What are you planning for 2014?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: What are you planning for 2014?

Post by JWreno »

My wife went back to college and became a cardiac ICU nurse a few years ago. Before she graduated we were able to do the entire JMT northbound in the heavy snow year of 2011 and had a great time. She now has saved up enough vacation so we are ready to do it from Yosemite to Whitney Portal. Got our permits for 22 days going out of Happy Isles. There will be 3 of us and I plan to do a slower trip of about 23 days. Our previous trips were 18 and 16 days.

This is my 3rd complete JMT so I want to bring my Canon 6D and a 17-40mm and 24-105mm lenses for more challenging photos. Looking for a slightly more weight capacity backpack to help me carry the extra weight. I have used a ULA Catalyst for the last 7 years but don't want to add another 5-7 pounds of camera gear without a more substantial pack. I will probably have my son carry a 2 pound tripod/head combo for the low light photography. Thinking about a Osprey Xenith 85 or an REI Crestrail 70 pack. I will go visit REI when my dividend arrives to see which pack gives me the better fit. I want something comfortable up to 45 pounds. I like my ULA at about 35 pounds or less at the start of a 10-12 resupply leg. I like it a lot better after eating half the food in my Bearikade expedition.

Backpacking is what gets me motivated to lose the weight I seem to gain every winter. I tend to loose half the weight with the training walks and hikes before the trip and the rest on a multiple week trip. Backpacking is the only time I can eat all I want and still lose weight.

I would love to be out multiple weeks each year but our elderly parents live a couple of thousand miles away so we use some vacation time most years to visit them while we can. We Looking forward to doing the PCT after retiring. After that I just want to spend some extended time wandering into parts of the Sierra that I haven't reached yet.
Last edited by JWreno on Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff
andymorgosh
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by andymorgosh »

My dad, my wife, and I have recently established a tradition of taking a week long backpacking trip each summer. This year, we're hoping to hike in over Shepherd Pass and climb Mt Williamson and Mt Tyndall. Then we hope to explore the Upper Kern and Milestone Basins before heading south and climbing Whitney. I've climbed it three times before but my wife and dad never have. So I'm super excited for them to have an opportunity.

Other than that, I'm trying to get my mom into backpacking so we're planning a three day two night Tuolumne Meadows to Agnew Meadows trip.

My wife starts med school in Arizona in mid July, but if there's time, I also would love to explore Amphitheater Lakes Basin the surrounding area.
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by schmalz »

I'm hoping to have a really good year in the Sierra. It's hard to make hard plans until close to the trip dates, but here is how things are shaping up.

The summer will mainly be focused on 2 big trips:
- 5 Day trip to Silver Divide area late July
- 9 Day trip to Bear Lakes area in mid September to hopefully do a trip that I tried and failed last year.

Other than that, here are some smaller trips that I'm hoping to get in as well:
- Memorial Day car camping trip with my 1.5 y/o kid. His first time to the Sierra.
- Day hike up the Whitney trail to Trail Crest w/ Callie. Got a June 9th permit.
- Dayhike up Olancha Peak.
- Overnight in Cottonwood lakes w/ Langley summit.
- Overnight in Big Pine Lakes area.

We'll see how it plays out.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Andymorgosh

That is too much in too short of time for a first backpacking trip for your mom. Make it 4 nights or do something shorter, like up Lyle Canyon, over to Vogelsang area then back to Tuolumne meadows.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

I typically take a couple of short early trips and a couple of short late trips. In between are where the longer trips go, and by longer I mean only 5 to 10 days.

The first trip coming up soon is to do some backcountry skiing in the Tetons where my brother lives. I've not done that type of skiing before and its been about 20 yrs since I did any type of skiing (alpine) so it will be interesting. :whistle:

One of the early backpacking trips this year will be a loop that includes the Tablelands. I'd like to get in there just as the snow melts but before the mosquito hatch is in full force. I will probably have a partner for this trip.

In June I want to do a section of the High Route. I still have the two north sections to do, but I'm thinking of first doing a southern route from Mineral King to KC Road's End similar to Bill Finch's route. After Glacier Pass and Hand & Knees Pass (or Blackrock Pass) I am considering a "side trip" into Kaweah Basin via Pyra-Queen Col, but might just head east over Pants Pass and bypass KB. After Milestone Pass I plan to cross the Kern-Kaweah Divide at Thunder Pass and travel through Brewer and Sphinx Basins. This is a solo trip so far.

A few weeks or so before the Wallace Lake meetup my brother may come out from Jackson to lead me up the East Buttress or East Face of Whitney. One nearby peak he hasn't done is Lone Pine, so we may do that, too.

For the meetup I'd like to start at Onion Valley and come out at Whitney Portal. The planned route is Kearsarge Pass, Deerhorn Saddle, Harrison Pass, and Russell-Carillon Pass. The route depends on working out a way to spot my car at Whitney Portal and get to Onion Valley. So far this is a solo trip.

Around Labor Day I'd like to do another section of the High Route.

In Oct and/or Nov I will do a weekender or two. I like to wait for Indian summer conditions and head out on short notice. It is pretty when the Sierra has already been dusted with some light storms.
04a Temple Crag.jpg
Of course plans are easy to make . . .
-Scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

I'm way behind in my planning this year. I usually have every step planned and mapped out by the end of January.

This year is a bit different because we have a new puppy. He's a lab, so no strenuous activity until he's at least a year old so his joints and hips stay healthy. We'll be working heavily on his camp and trail manners this spring and summer. Once he's done with his vaccinations we'll start taking some 'practice' camping weekends, hopefully out to Bishop to do some climbing and get him used to being out there.

As for me, I'll be leaving the pup with the husband and taking a week or two in the high country. If I can get the additional time off of work so close to a long visit to my family, I'll join the meetup (I have some rough deadlines around then so it might be tough). Or, I might just take a couple of weeks later in August and as balzaccom is also planning, work my way down 395. I'd love to tag a bunch of SPS peaks still on my list. Maybe a few 2-3 day in and out trips. Some friends have exciting trips planned but I have conflicts with weddings and family visits but maybe i can at least meet up with folks before and after trips or somewhere on the trail.

Whatever I do, I'll be playing it much more flexible than usual this year. But I kind of like the idea of loading up my Outback for a couple of weeks and combining long dayclimbs and car camping with a few short backpacks.

Obligatory puppy photo: Mighty Thor, my soon-to-be adventure buddy
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

oldranger wrote:Andymorgosh

That is too much in too short of time for a first backpacking trip for your mom. Make it 4 nights or do something shorter, like up Lyle Canyon, over to Vogelsang area then back to Tuolumne meadows.

Mike
Just a quick mention about the advantage of allowing and planning for zero days along the trail, especially with new hikers (or old farts).
A great example above -
Indeed your mom might survive a 3 day/2 night Agnew - Tuolumne, a first time trip, and probably never backpack again.

Or, you could allow a layover at Garnet/1000 Island, maybe a short day (green Tarn below Donahue)...let her soak in some Sierra.
IMHO, considering it's your mom - better to do this trip in 5 days...
Mountainman who swims with trout
andymorgosh
Topix Novice

Post by andymorgosh »

markskor wrote:
oldranger wrote:Andymorgosh

Mike
Just a quick mention about the advantage of allowing and planning for zero days along the trail, especially with new hikers (or old farts).
A great example above -
Indeed your mom might survive a 3 day/2 night Agnew - Tuolumne, a first time trip, and probably never backpack again.

Or, you could allow a layover at Garnet/1000 Island, maybe a short day (green Tarn below Donahue)...let her soak in some Sierra.
IMHO, considering it's your mom - better to do this trip in 5 days...
oldranger, markskor, thanks for the advice! I've been to the 1000 Island lakes area three times now and I think that contributed somewhat to my rushed trip itinerary. Now that you mention it, as long as schedules allow, four or even five days would be much more ideal. I think the challenge will be finding that happy medium between non-exhausting days on the trail and my mom's ever-increasing desire for a hot shower and a warm bed with each passing day! We haven't yet ruled out exploring the Big Pine Lakes and Palisade Glacier area either...
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Take along a solar shower and a light tarp for a shower enclosure. On the zero day, she can bathe in luxury.
Pulpit
Topix Acquainted

Post by Pulpit »

Week of car camping and a couple nights of backpacking up at Big Pine Creek with my brother and 5yo nephew again.