Oreana (9346), Galena (9416) and Siegel (9451) Triple Crown

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Oreana (9346), Galena (9416) and Siegel (9451) Triple Crown

Post by Vaca Russ »

Anyone who has ever dropped down from the eastern escarpment of the Sierra around Tahoe and into the Carson Valley has noticed the large mountain range to the east known as the Pine Nuts.

We had the thought we would like to bag the three tallest peaks.

We left work on Friday afternoon and drove to Gardnerville. From there we took 395 south to Holbrook Junction. We turned left and drove north of Wellington to a dirt road heading up a canyon on the east slope of the Pine Nuts. This is Red Canyon.

Although the road is pretty much 2 WD, we did experience some jungle and swamps. :)
1.JPG
We managed to find a nice camp spot between two snow melt fed streams at about 6400 feet.
2.JPG
It got cold that night. We have spent the night in colder places but we were happy we had good equipment.

The next morning we continued up the road to an intersection at about 7000 feet. I wanted to buy a case of beer and 4 WD to the summits, but “Sport” didn’t think that was very sporty. :) We parked on the road near the spring.

From here we packed up and began our journey to conquer three peaks.
3.JPG
It wasn’t long before we were high on a ridge when all of the sudden a C130 flew from around a distant ridge.
4.JPG
Only to be followed by another…
5.JPG
And then one more…
6.JPG
These guys must have been from the Reno Air National Guard. These were the only people we saw on the climb.

We kept slogging up the hill and after much effort we reached the summit of Oreana.
The register was two old coffee cans tucked away in a stone windbreak.
7.JPG
The views from the summit were absolutely spectacular!
8.JPG
That guy in the middle of the page is a legendary mountaineer.
9.JPG
The view from on top was great but we still had two more peaks to bag.

The road to the two highest peaks in the Pine Nuts was full of snow so we hiked cross country. We dropped down into the Buckeye Creek basin and started the climb to the summit of Galena.
10.JPG
To be continued...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Vaca Russ on Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Re: Oreana (9346), Galena (9416) and Siegel (9451) Triple Crown

Post by Vaca Russ »

We made the summit after a little hike (at altitude). It was easy to tell it was the summit because it had an obligatory “summit steel pipe”. :D
11.JPG
Once again, the views were quite inspiring.
12.JPG
We took one quick look back at Oreana…
13.JPG
…and started our hike across the saddle to the second highest peak in Douglass County. My research showed no snow on these peaks, but it turns out the NOHRSC was wrong. Sport didn’t bring any snow footwear so we dropped down in altitude to avoid the snow field on the saddle.
14.JPG
We eventually made our third summit of the day only to find a register placed by this guy.
15.JPG
Is this Aaron? :D :D He only lives about 30 miles from here as the crow flies.

This guy again? Is there a mountain he hasn’t climbed? :D
16.JPG
My hands were so cold I had trouble signing my John Hancock.
17.JPG
Here is Sport summiting the “Summit Cairn” on Siegel.
18.JPG
Three peaks in one day is good but we still had a long hike back down to Buckeye Creek and then up and out of the basin through the little shoulder just right of Oreana Peak.
19.JPG
We made it to that shoulder but still had a long way to go. Fortunately it was all downhill. I know it is impossible to see but that black dot down there next to the willows in the center of the shot is the truck.
20.JPG
The statistics were about 14 miles and about 5000 feet in one day. Quite a workout and it wasn’t even in our beautiful Sierra!

Thanks for reading my post about our adventure bagging the triple crown of the Pine Nuts.

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by austex »

A triple bag of pine nuts? I'll take it. Thanks for the armchair journey! I enjoyed getting out vicariously through your report; Thanks!
cefire
Topix Regular

Post by cefire »

Nice!! :thumbsup: