GoLite Tents

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

GoLite Tents

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Anyone have any experience with GoLites Imogene or Wolf Creek Tents? I'm interested as they are very light and relatively inexpensive, but how are they in the field? The material looks pretty thin.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
John Harper
Topix Expert

Re: GoLite Tents

Post by John Harper »

I have a GoLite Jam2 pack. Super light and well made. If the quality is equal to the pack, should be a good product.

John
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Have you compared with Tarptents?

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by FeetFirst »

Troutdog 59 wrote:Anyone have any experience with GoLites Imogene or Wolf Creek Tents? I'm interested as they are very light and relatively inexpensive, but how are they in the field? The material looks pretty thin.
I used a GoLite Imogene UL3 on a handful of trips last summer and overall I'd give it a A-. I actually sold it to fund the purchase of a Golite SL3, but more on that later.

Like most lightweight tents, despite the claim of a 3-person tent it's really a 2-person plus tent. I purchased it to use with my wife and toddler son. Also, as a spacious 2-person tent when the family stayed at home and a friend joined me. As for space, it worked quite well for these scenarios.

I like the design and think it does a good job balancing the competing needs of livability, weather worthiness, and weight. My only nitpick in this regard would be the door entrance being a bit low, but not bad and on par with other manufacturers' offerings. It offers full protection from storms and maintains decent ventilation when buttoned up thanks to a full coverage taut fly and high/low vents. When it's nice out, remove the fly and you have a good amount of bug free space. Lots of other tents do these, but not at the weight of this tent.

The quality of the construction and materials are really good. I was especially impressed with the quality of the extra guyline and stakes. Like you I was concerned with how thin the materials felt, but everything worked fine with no problems. With that being said, I'd definitely use some type of ground cloth (e.g. footprint, polycryo) to keep the floor safe. I generally don't use ground cloths, but for this tent I did. I'm happy to say that the floor did survive the wrath of my toddler son and Sierra granite.

The tent was very sturdy during the multiple nights of high winds I experienced last summer near Thousand Island and Garnet Lakes (pictured below).

Setup is fairly straight forward, but there are a couple of quirks if you're unfamiliar to the type of hardware used. So a couple of practice rounds in the backyard wouldn't hurt.

The reason I switched this tent for the Golite SL3 was so I could further reduce the weight when I went on trips with a friend. Since we usually just sleep out under the stars, the full on tent felt like a bit much, but of course if storms threatened I'd like a roof overhead. So, the SL3 (fly only) fits this need better.

Last edited by FeetFirst on Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
dsundrwd
Topix Acquainted

Post by dsundrwd »

I have the Imogene UL2 which works great as a 1 person tent. I find it to be very well made. It sets up easy but as mentioned above, it doesn't hurt to practice in your back yard or living room a couple of times. My only issue is condensation. I had it out in 19 degree temps last fall and had condensation dripping in my face in the mornings. Other than that, i think its a good tent
snowblind
Topix Acquainted

Post by snowblind »

I have a Shangri-La 2. I really like it...very easy to set up, very light and pretty large inside. It is also fair inexpensive. I only use a tent in wet weather, but used it several times in the high sierra last year during rain and hail storms. It held up great, however as with all tarp-like tents, you need to make sure it is well secured and the fabric is tight esp. in windy areas. I do not use a mesh liner.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Thanks everyone!! I appreciate the feedback.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead