Sanger Log Flume Search

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
evilgenius32
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Sanger Log Flume Search

Post by evilgenius32 »

Hi everyone, I've been a member of this community for a while now and decided to finally come out and post. I have recently been researching the old log flumes spanning from Hume and Sequoia Lakes to Sanger. This flume carried logs from Converse Basin and other logging camps down to Sanger where they were processed. It was the longest flume in the world at 54 miles. Being so long, I was wondering if anyone has a map of its run? After researching for many hours I have still come up empty. Also, has anyone ever actually seen what is left of it? It would be interesting to here from some more experienced bushwhackers here.
kd6swa
Topix Acquainted

Re: Sanger Log Flume Search

Post by kd6swa »

This is what I saw on the internet:

The longest log flume was reputedly the Kings River Flume in Sanger, California. Built in 1890 by the Kings River Lumber Company, it spanned over 62 miles (100 km) from the Sierra Nevada Mountains to the lumber yard and railroad depot in Sanger. Together with a constant water supply from a nearby reservoir, the flume enabled the efficient transportation of boards of lumber over deep gorges and cliffs and thereby opened up the area now known as Sequoia National Forest for clear cutting of the giant Redwood forests. Proper operation was ensured by "flume herders" who at various locations along the flume checked the flow of lumber and water.

On occasion, despite being exceedingly dangerous, flume herders and others would ride down the flume in small crafts or boats, either for inspection or for thrills. Such rides were the precursor of the modern log-ride amusement park rides.

I will look for more information on Kings River Flume.

KD6SWA
kd6swa
Topix Acquainted

Post by kd6swa »

Here is more data:

http://sangerdepotmuseum.com/flume_history.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KD6SWA
kd6swa
Topix Acquainted

Post by kd6swa »

Probably is best to contact the Sanger Depot Museum:

The flume exhibit at the Sanger Depot Museum shows a model of the flume and also a self explanatory pictorial display of the huge lumbering operation of that period and provides a bittersweet look at the reality of Sanger's history and the lumbering industry of which it was once so much a part .

KD6SWA
evilgenius32
Topix Acquainted

Sanger Log Flume Search

Post by evilgenius32 »

Yeah, it's pretty interesting and those are some of the sites I did explore. I may just need to make the trip to Sanger and go to the museum and get their information.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

I have this book: They Felled The Redwoods
Great book that's worth a look. Believe there's a hand drawn map and def. a lot of great photos in there. Think the museum in Sanger might have copies you could have a look at before deciding to buy.

EDIT: I need to clarify that I "had" this book in my collection for a number of years. It was borrowed from a family friend who has one of the most extensive collections of Sierra-related books I've ever come across.

Just read in the Amazon reviews that the gift shop in Sequoia might sell it, too.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
PeterKissam
Topix Newbie

Post by PeterKissam »

I think I saw a "Huell Howser" show on just this interest area....I think I remember him walking some of the remaining raised sections with someone local...some parts still exists. Fires and rot claimed a lot. But I think parts remain. I can see it in my mind's eye from watching it...

Huell had various shows: Caifornia's Golld is the one I thnk it fell under but he also did a "water specific" seres show ("California's Water" or something like that...) Might have been here too.

See Chapman College Huell site. http://blogs.chapman.edu/huell-howser-archives/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He also did a Hetch Hetchy segment that may have overlapped this subject.
Anyway...
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Peter,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for posting that site.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org