Snow camping in Yosemite 2014

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
justm
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Snow camping in Yosemite 2014

Post by justm »

Has anyone backpacked into Dewey point in Yosemite this year ? Any snow up there ? Is the road open up to the parking area ?

Thanks for any info.
justm
Topix Regular

Re: Snow camping in Yosemite 2014

Post by justm »

Never mind. I checked Yosemite's web site. The road to badger pass is closed due to snow and ice. They're not plowing it, because Badger ski area wasn't open this year due to low snow levels.
justm
Topix Regular

Post by justm »

Has anyone ever backpacked and snow camped at either, Crane Flat area or Mariposa Grove area? Which trails would you suggest ?
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Last I heard there wasn't much snow around Crane Flat - you'd have to go up the closed road a ways to reach significant snow.
justm
Topix Regular

Post by justm »

OK, thanks Paul, I think we're going to go to Meiss meadow or Carson Pass instead.
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

Actually Badger did open. I skiied there last weekend, then they closed it the next day. I was downhill skiing, but looked on the road and it looked like it had some pretty bare spots...I would think it would be easier to backpack this year down the road than ski!:)
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
justm
Topix Regular

Post by justm »

Thanks for the info. It's hard to plan a trip when they're opening it up when it's snowing, closing it when it's not. We're going to snow camp up in the Carson Pass area this year, I'll post a trip report.