jeans vs ???

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

jeans vs ???

Post by oldranger »

on another thread richlong wrote
I have "blown out" more than one pair of nylon shorts and pants while hiking. I sometimes wonder if going back to jeans would be easier( definitely cheaper)!
In the old days (50s through 70s I wore jeans always a new pair washed several times. I blew out several pairs. Since then I have relied on synthetics and have not had that problem. Have had couple pairs resewn along seams when they seemed a little worn but the fabric seems much more resistant to wearing and tearing but maybe I'm just not as tough on my pants as I used to be now that I'm an old fart.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
longri
Topix Fanatic

Re: jeans vs ???

Post by longri »

Why not jeans? If you're comfortable in them. My first ever backpacking trip (in late November in the Sierra) I wore my Levis. I got to where I was hip deep in snow and realized that jeans weren't the right choice in that situation. They sure were comfortable up to that point though.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I used to hike in jeans before I made any effort to carry lighter stuff. There really isn't anything wrong with it but if it rains then you will have to carry a couple more pounds for sure!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

jeans vs ???

Post by AlmostThere »

Jeans are made of Death Cloth (what our SAR team calls cotton).

a group of guys planning to hike from north lake to roads end got rained on twice in their jeans and cotton hoodies, leading to two days of drying out with campfires rather than going hypothermic hiking in cool temps. they were two days overdue and made it to florence - did the right thing but probably could have spared their mamas the panic and the taxpayers lots of money, since three SAR efforts were launched ( three jurisdictions involved) and it would have been easier just to wear proper clothing. (footwear and not noticing that piute pass still had a lot of snow were the other factors)

i used to camp in jeans. just not even comfortable any more, and i hike rain or shine, so they stay home now.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I like Marine surplus pants. wind and mosquito proof and not made of "death cloth". Dry quickly when wet. double knees, double butt cloth. and no one can see me as they're camo. :paranoid:
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

If you search online there are numerous threads speaking negatively about jeans, and
the dangers of wearing cotton:
http://www.backpacker.com/prof_hike_beg ... ills/14472" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-ge ... king-.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Would be interested in hearing from folks here who wear jeans and have gotten
wet, which is the main negative you have heard about in the past few decades (cotton
kills). Met a father/daughter at Vidette Meadow about 18 years ago who were drying
their jeans by a campfire, and they said they loved the feel of them and they were much
more durable than hiking pants available at the time.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

jeans vs ???

Post by AlmostThere »

when i was a kid we all went with our families, and a lot of things were taught - how to fish, build fires, etc. we wore jeans and had no troubles.

now people just take gear they picked from a list and go - no outdoor experience, no guidance, no research - and expect to see yosemite. I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to build a fire in the rain any more. so i advocate against jeans - if they have the question of whether to wear them, i won't assume they can get themselves out of trouble.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

My Levis got soaked on that trip I mentioned. So I took them off and put on my thermals and rain pants.

I didn't use jeans too much after that trip but I did hike in cotton army pants for years. I liked the loose fit and all of those cargo pockets. But I had long underwear and rain pants as well.

I still hike in a cotton t-shirt and just roll my eyes when someone says I'll die because of it.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

jeans vs ???

Post by AlmostThere »

no one said you would die. plenty of people have suffered for it and wasted your taxes tho.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

I really started this about the durability issue--completely spacing on the safety issue. For all my clothing I have gone to synthetic, wool, and (for sleeping comfort) silk.

I just can't give up my wool sweaters--make a much more comfortable pillow base (wrap my down vest around it) than fleece.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!