Silver Falls State Park

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Silver Falls State Park

Post by oldranger »

We found a window of good weather on the west side of the Cascades this week (so rare that in Bend when you say "stick where the sun don't shine" it means send it to the west side). So kathy and I headed to Silver Falls State park. On Wednesday we hiked a loop that bypassed or went under about a dozen falls. The first hour was downhill and the temp was still in the 30s. We got pretty wet and cold and actually ran quite a bit to get out of the spray and warm up.
South Silver Falls.jpg
Along the trail.jpg
getting ready to walk behind the falls.jpg
Cave behind the falls.jpg
Inside looking out.jpg
After completing the 8+ mile loop we headed down to Silverton and visited Seven Sisters Brewing for beer and dinner.

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Re: Silver Falls State Park

Post by gary c. »

Beautiful pictures OR!! I love waterfalls anytime and the moss on the tree is way cool.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Phil B.
Your Run-of-the-mill Internet Troll

Post by Phil B. »

Great pictures thanks for sharing. :D
Formerly "FISHPOLE"
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Very nice Mike, beautiful area, one I have been admiring photo's of for years, especially
the winter ones like this one: https://www.google.com/search?q=silver+ ... 1024%3B683" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Maverick

It was just above freezing when we went under that fall in your link. The temp for the photo in your link must have been in the single digits for several days and trail conditions really icy. Two reasons why I could never be a serious photographer--neither tough enough nor enough patience.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Jason
Topix Regular

Post by Jason »

That looks like an awesome hike. Adding it to my list!