5 Night Yosemite Backpacking Trip Help

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

5 Night Yosemite Backpacking Trip Help

Post by wanderin.jack »

Not sure why Starr did it so fast but my hunch is a combination of his fitness level and work pressure. We all of course hike our own hike. I certainly did a lot of long hikes in short timeframes when I was in my 20s due to these same causes and conditions. Starr was a young Boalt Hall grad working at Pillsbury Madison, a very high profile law firm in SF. Usually young attorneys work pretty hard so I would speculate that the combination of energetic youth and work pressure were his motivations. I'd probably to this hike in the 10 days and resupply at Reds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanderin' Jack
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 5 Night Yosemite Backpacking Trip Help

Post by markskor »

WD - Very sorry but the fault was probably mine. Somehow I had "quoted" your response and added my own after.
I think I was in ADMIN mode at the time and goofed...did not check if it posted correctly.
Again, very sorry.
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
canyonexplorer76
Topix Novice

Post by canyonexplorer76 »

Wanted to say a BIG thank you to all who posted advice, tips, ideas, suggestions, etc. for my planned Yosemite backpacking trip later this summer. Faxed in my application last night and got the email this morning that I was issued a backcountry permit along with Half Dome permits for a trip during the first week of September.

After thinking over everyone's advice we scaled back our plan a little. We'll be doing a 5 day 4 night trip starting at the Cathedral Lakes Trailhead and ending in Yosemite Valley. We're hoping this will enable us to take our time and enjoy the sights along the trail while at the same time not biting off more than we can chew. I've also been thinking of getting a California fishing license and maybe doing a little fishing while there.

Now that we've secured permits I'm sure I'll have some more questions. First up for me though is a 40 mile trek through the Grand Canyon in just about 3 weeks from now so I'll be focusing on that trip for now and then the Yosemite trip after I get back.

Thanks again to everyone who posted for all the help so far.

--Todd
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Check the price for an out-of-state CA fishing license before you get your heart set on fishing.

Eons ago, you could get a one day permit just for Yosemite at a much cheaper price. Not sure they do that any more.

I would love to see your Grand Canyon trip report! Hope you post it here.
canyonexplorer76
Topix Novice

Post by canyonexplorer76 »

I can definitely post a trip report from the Grand Canyon trip here after I get back if you're interested. We fly out to Arizona April 7th and then back to Boston on April 16th so I'll try to get it posted as soon as possible after I get back.

Checked on the fishing license fees earlier today and a 2 day Non-Resident California license is just over $23. Thats pretty reasonable considering I pay somewhere around $30 for a 3 day license if I do any fishing up in New Hampshire. My full year Massachusetts Resident license is about $28. Its all relative I guess....