TR: August 2013 Solo Hike to the Whaleback (and Back)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: August 2013 Solo Hike to the Whaleback (and Back)

Post by Rockyroad »

I really enjoyed reading your TR. Thanks for posting.
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Mike M. »

TR -- Day 11 continued . . .

The route I took down from Triple Divide Pass was a steep boulder hop near the top, demanding careful attention, then a more gentle descent as you ease into the high lake basin directly below the pass. The views back to the pass were impressive. Here's the boulder field near the top of the pass:
IMGP7731sony.jpg
IMGP7732stretch.jpg
IMGP7733corrected.jpg
And a more open view further down the basin:
IMGP7739corrected.jpg
Note that this is not one of the standard routes described by Secor.

At about 11,120' is a pretty lake, where I stopped for water.
IMGP7741sony.jpg
The outlet stream to this lake tumbles down to the Kern-Kaweah via a steep slot in the canyon wall. Years ago, in another drought year, my youngest brother and I had taken this route and I decided the conditions were similar, so why not? This is class 2-3 travel, not quite as hard as I remember. I had to pass my pack down by nylon cord a few times but only encountered one true class 3 move, made necessary by a bad route finding choice. (I had hurriedly let my pack down by nylon rope at one point without properly scouting the way and found myself trapped, having slithered down what I thought was a possible route, only to find a dead end; I couldn't get back up to my starting point and didn't trust some mossy wet footholds going down. Fortunately, I figured out a third way involving two tricky moves -- a mini traverse around a huge polished boulder with limited exposure. Still, not a wise decision to plunge first rather than properly scout.)
IMGP7743sony.jpg
IMGP7744sony.jpg
IMGP7745sony.jpg
IMGP7746sony.jpg
IMGP7748sony.jpg
Soon I was out of the chute. I traversed right to solid ground, then plunged down the hill, crossed the Kern-Kaweah and stopped for lunch.

To be continued . . .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

TR continued . . .

Looking back at the slot:
IMGP7749sony.jpg
The view down the basin, my route back.
IMGP7750corrected.jpg
I ending up camping that night less than a mile west of Rockslide Lake. I didn't get into camp until after 5:30, late for me. The smell of smoke was in the air, but I didn't notice any haze from the smoke.

The next morning, Day 12, would be a long one, as I made my way down to Junction Meadow, up the Kern to the Wallace Creek trail, then up Wallace Creek to the JMT and finally to the Tyndall Creek junction.

I noticed bear scat on the trail coming down into Junction Meadow:
IMGP7815sony.jpg
The morning was clear and bright, but as the day progressed haze from a wildfire to the south drifted in.

Relief from the hot hike up the Wallace Creek trail is offered at this welcome oasis, as Wright Creek spills over the trail and joins Wallace Creek:
IMGP7826sony.jpg
Soon I was on the JMT, stopping at an overlook on the Wallace Creek switchbacks to take this photo looking down Wallace Creek toward the Kaweahs:
IMGP7830kodak.jpg
Bighorn Plateau offered stunning views:
IMGP7835corrected.jpg
IMGP7841corrected.jpg
IMGP7842corrected.jpg
IMGP7844canon.jpg
I finally arrived at the Tyndall Creek campground (the one near the ranger station junction) at about 7:00 PM. It was crowded, with at least five parties of hikers, but I found a secluded, pretty spot and wolfed down dinner. No time for reading this day.

To be continued . . .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

TR continued . . .

Day 13 (August 25) dawned bright and sunny and I was on the trail early, retracing my steps up and over Forester Pass and down to Bubbs Creek.
IMGP7851sony.jpg
As I neared the pass, smoke rolled in.
IMGP7861corrected.jpg
Forester Pass close up:
IMGP7863corrected.jpg
Junction Peak from the lower Forester Pass switchbacks:
IMGP7864stretch.jpg
Smoke in the air:
IMGP7871corrected.jpg
I camped that night at a big campsite just upstream from the Vidette switchbacks.

Day 14, my last day out, I was up and on the trail by 8:30, eager for real food. I hung around the very crowded pass for about 30 minutes, had someone take this last photo, and then was back on the trail, headed down to the car.
IMGP7900corrected.jpg
Once back in civilization, I stopped at a little store in Onion Valley and loaded up on ice, Gatorade and snacks, then headed north on 395 for my long drive back to Portland. I had not been aware of the Rim Fire, but saw it now up close. Beginning at about Lee Vining and continuing all the way north of Reno, heavy smoke was everywhere. As I drove, I listened to the radio and learned about the massive man-caused fire, hoping against hope that one of my favorite early season destinations near Hetch Hetchy had been spared. The jury's still out on that. There was a big red sunset that night. I stayed in a motel in Susanville that night and was back in Portland by early evening on the 27th.
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by texan »

What an epic trip. Thank you for sharing.

Texan
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Great report and photos for a neat area. The view of the Whaleback from Triple Divide Peak is pretty good, too.
vandman
Topix Regular

Post by vandman »

I'm glad to see that you finally broke down and bought a real tent--old man. :bear:
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vanmiller.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Mike for posting this beautiful TR and pictures, no such thing as a late TR. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

I thoroughly enjoyed reading and viewing your trip report, Mike. It will influence my future trip plans.

Just curious, is the outlet chute Mike took going down from Triple Divide Pass to the Kern-Kaweah River the standard route, or is there an easier way such as 1/3 mi to the west?

Are those blue jeans and a cotton T-shirt you are wearing atop Kersearge Pass? You are a man among marmots!

-Scott
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Ska-T, thank you for reading my TR and I'm glad you enjoyed it. For me it's payback for all the great reports I've had the pleasure to read on this site.

The chute I took is not one of the standard routes -- it is a variation that would not be easily passable when there is substantial flow in the creek.

The route I have used most frequently (four times over the years) is to head south from the pass, go over a nearby ridge and continue south past Triple Divide Peak, then carefully zig-zag down the steep ridge to the upper Kern-Kaweah. This is class 2; I usually end up passing my pack down a few times to avoid making knee wrenching three or four foot hops with a loaded pack. This route requires patience and good route finding but there is no exposure. A second route mentioned by Secor is to head west, then work down a drainage where you intersect the Colby Pass trail, on the meadowy plateau above the forested switchbacks. I have not tried this route but it looks reasonable on the map. Because I was headed down towards Rockslide Lake and not planning to camp in the upper Kern-Kaweah, the creek slot route seemed the most direct.

Yes, blue jeans and t-shirt, my preferred hiking garb -- don't leave home without it!

Mike