Moved from fishing forum:

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Tom
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Moved from fishing forum:

Post by Tom »

I am planning a backpacking trip into the Middle fork of the Kings River next Fall. The trip is primarily for fishing. I have recruited 2 people to go with me but they are leaving after a week. Once they are gone I would like to continue down river. We will part company in the Tehipite canyon after coming in from Zumwalt Meadows.

What I haven't been able to find anywhere is someone that can say (through personal experience) if the river is passable from Tehipite canyon to Boyden Cave on highway 180.

Any info would be greatly appreciated whether it is what I want to hear, or not.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

I've only heard rumors. I have only considered this by scouring maps and scoping the canyon with binocs. May be doable when the river is REALLY low. I think Buck Forester has tried this before (see this old post) - so maybe he'll chime in or you can PM him.
Tom
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tom »

Thanks for the lead to the old posts...It sounds like, in late Fall and with a lot of patience, the route is passable. However as a first trip into that region I may take someone with me. But I'll bet the fishing is worth the effort.
gdurkee
Founding Member

Tehipite

Post by gdurkee »

Tom:

It's definitely doable from maybe mid-September on (depends on what kind of snow year and even if we've had heavy late summer rains). You end up going between wading the river and going up on the canyon 50 - 100 feet. A thrash, but it's done by a few parties a year. Make sure you check the long range forecast. Bad place to be if a heavy tropical system moves in.

Contact me and I'll send you the email of a ranger who does it almost every year.

George