Need to find a group for a 4 night trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Need to find a group for a 4 night trip

Post by sparky »

Despite the low snow year, I would expect snow in may on all high passes. It may be snow free, but I wouldn't bet on it, and I would be surprised if it was. No harm, no foul, as if you cannot make the pass you can simply turn around and still have an amazing trip. I love early season, and my early season trips are usually out and backs because of steep snow.
sportsguy81
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by sportsguy81 »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9363&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I found this trip report on Rae Lakes last year, someone was able to pass Glen Pass without any problems, that's encouraging for this year in late May as well.. although you never know til you get up there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Sportsguy81 wrote:
I found this trip report on Rae Lakes last year, someone was able to pass Glen Pass
without any problems, that's encouraging for this year in late May as well.. although
you never know til you get up there.
Yes they were able, but you have to take into consideration whether the person who
wrote that was experienced or not. It is easier for someone who has gone over the pass
before to do the trail with some snow on it, if they pick the right time of the day so
the snow is not hard/icy or to soft (postholing). If tracks from previous backpackers are
present then it will be easier, just be very cautious.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org