Solo Backpacking Questions...

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
taracheezem
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by taracheezem »

Hello All!

I am planning a solo trip in early summer and I had a few questions. I am planning on starting in Kings Canyon and ending at Whitney Portal.

1) It looks like there are designated campsites with food storage lockers. How crowded do those get? Should I bring a bear canister anyway?

2) Do I need micro-spikes in June or will the snow/ice be pretty much gone?

3) Is shooting for doing the whole thing in 5 days too ambitious?

Thanks for any guidance anyone can offer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Solo Backpacking Questions...

Post by maverick »

Hi Taracheezem,

Welcome to HST! Please read: http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... f=1&t=4205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Even though bear boxes do exist along the route, certain areas you pass through - Bubbs Creek and Whiitney Zone for example, have strict requirements that mandate you carrying some recognized/approved food storage system.
In the Whitney Zone...an Ursack will probably work this year, but in SEKI, you could face a hefty fine if found without a can.
http://www.sierrawild.gov/bears/food-storage-map" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Crampons or microspikes? Just depends. An ice ax might prove more helpful. Hiking poles definitely if no ax.

Too early...5 days?
Maybe...again, a lot depends on if it snows before and what you know...IMHO, a week would be better.
Mountainman who swims with trout
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I think Whitney is inside the park...

There are not designated sites and the park will expect you to have the can because the boxes fill.

How long it takes depends on your level of fitness and preference. I could do it in five from Bubbs to Whitney but would take six. fishing is fun.
DavePloessel
Topix Acquainted

Post by DavePloessel »

5 days is doable.. I did something similar in 3 but it was pretty long days. Maybe consider planning a loop from either side, or you'll have to spend a whole day shuttling back as well. June this year may be fairly snow free, but you should stil be comfy/know how to handle snow/ice.

BRING A BEAR CAN! It benefits you in so many ways besides just food storage: you don't get tickets, you aren't forced to camp with crowds and can hit out of the way places, you can carry soft foods like avocados and they don't get squished.. it even makes a handy camp stool.
taracheezem
Topix Novice

Post by taracheezem »

Thank you all so much for your advice! I really appreciate it.

After considering all of the advice offered, I will be taking a bear canister.

I have a few more questions...

Are there campsites that I can expect to get pretty busy? Or is June too early for that?

Thanks so much!

Tara
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Kings Canyon is a big park. Where are you starting? If you start at Roads End, hike up Bubbs Creek and join the Muir Trail at Vidette Meadow, 5 days seems reasonable, 6 would be more enjoyable.

Bear canisters are required; you can rent them at the ranger station where you pick up your permit. For overflow food and smellies, there are bear boxes in key locations on the route. Here's a link that identifies where the bear boxes are located: http://www.climber.org/data/BearBoxes/AllBoxes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike
jimmeans
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jimmeans »

Last month I asked SEKI about the contradiction of bear boxes existing in areas where food storage containers are required in SEKI: Rae Lakes, Dusy Basin, and Rock Creek.

The response that I received from the SEKI Wilderness Office:

"Hello Jim Means.

"The container requirement for the Rae Lakes, Dusy Basin, and Rock Creek areas is in effect from the Friday before Memorial day through October 31. During that time frame, the boxes may only be used by long distance hikers (hiking 200+ miles on the Pacific Crest/John Muir trails).

"Thanks for your concern regarding proper food storage.

"Happy Trails
"

So within those areas the bear boxes are technically off-limits for short distance hikers during the summer. The irony is that the boxes at Kearsarge Lakes have been padlocked because the long distance hikers were leaving extra food and trash in them.

Personally I use a food storage container as standard practice to avoid regulatory issues and for the other benefits that others have mentioned here. I just wish somebody would come up with a design that was easier to pack.
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

Tara, when a new person joins HST we don't know their level of experience. Even though they are called a "Topix Newbie" because of the low number of posts they've made, they may be a very experienced backpacker. On the other hand they may have next to no experience or at least no experience in the Sierra.

You have asked about campsites twice, and I'm not sure you mean campgrounds near the trailhead or if you are asking about sleeping spots on the trail. I assume you mean the latter.

There are some highly popular areas in the Sierra where you have to camp in a designated site, like Paradise Valley on the Woods Creek trail in Kings Canyon, but in general you can bed down wherever is reasonable, as long as you are not in a meadow and you are 100 ft from water. Rangers want you to choose a spot on bare ground (not on vegetation) that many people have used before where the ground is flat and rocks have been picked out (i.e., an established site). Don't dig trenches or rearrange large rocks or make a fire ring. Practice leave no trace. There aren't any huts like on the Appalachian Trail or in Europe and no picnic tables. Your bear canister makes a nice sitting stool.

The Bubbs Creek trail out of King's Canyon and the John Muir Trail are very popular trails with fairly heavy foot traffic. However, a solo hiker should have no problem finding a spot to bed down even if you leave your decision to about an hour or less before you have to stop for the day. I'm not recommending that you wait that long, just that you can do it.

You are not allowed to camp on the Bubbs Creek trail until you have hiked about 4 mi from the trailhead. Within 6 mi or so of the trailhead camping can be a little crowded for my tastes, but things thin out after that, especially after you pass the trail to East Lake. As you get close to Mt Whitney the camping spots will get more populated again, but the solo hiker should have no problem finding a spot. I hope that answers your question about camping sites.
taracheezem
Topix Novice

Post by taracheezem »

Again... Thanks so much for the input! I am an experienced backpacker but this will be my first solo trip. I have always wanted to do the high sierra trail and I am moving back to the East Coast this summer so I am doing it on my way across country. I am asking about the popularity of the trails and campsites because I just want to make sure there will be other people around in case something happens... Seeing as this is my first solo trip!

Thanks again :)