Free-standing tent with elbow room??

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
SteveB
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Free-standing tent with elbow room??

Post by SteveB »

Hi, all! Searching for a decent free-standing tent with elbow room (not looking for a claustrophobic thing) that can handle a bit of midnight snowfall for this winter. My old Clip Flashlight is great in decent weather, but almost impossible on rock and in places where the ol' stakes just don't hack it. So I'm looking for some suggestions from folks that have been out there and gotten snowed on a few times. :)

Thanks!

ps: Also still looking for a manufacturer of custom gaiters, since my personal designs don't seem to last ;) and nobody makes any big enough to fit right on my calves!
Randonnee
Founding Member

Post by Randonnee »

I have been using an North Face VE-24 for over 25 years and other than being a bit on the heavy side it is a great tent in snow and wind. The current version is the VE-25 which has vestibules and a second door were not part of the original design.

Not of the free standing family, but I also have a Black Diamond Megamid I use when I get serious about weight. No floor so you can dig down to increase the head room. The sides are steep enough that heavy snow has not been a problem. This is another great choice for winter use.
"The distinguishing mark of true adventures, is that it is often no fun at all while they are actually happening." ? Kim Stanley Robinson
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

My tent is not free-standing, but I've never had a problem setting up, even on rock slabs. Stephenson Warmlite, weighs 2 lb 13 oz and is 4 season. I think its 5' x 9'. A little pricey, but for me its worth it. I've been happy with it.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trail Bud
Topix Acquainted

Freestanding Tent

Post by Trail Bud »

I have a Integral Designs, MK1XL. It's a single wall 4 season, free standing and the poles ( 2 of them) go up from the inside. It sets up fast. It's roomy for me, I'm 6"1" & 215 lbs. I'm very comfortable by myself, I can also sit up inside.
Here's the techical info:
Dimension
Floor Length: 86"
Floor Width: 46"
Maximum Height: 39"
Floor Area: 28 sq ft
Packed size: 20" x 6"
Packed weight: 4lbs 12 oz (2,140g) (tent+poles+stuff sack)
tent body =3 lb 10oz (1,650g)
Price is $550.00

here's the link: http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_ ... cttypeid=5
wingding

Post by wingding »

I have an Integral Designs MK1 lite (total weight is less than 4 pounds) - very roomy for one person, but not intended for those over 6 feet tall. If you're over 6 feet then they suggest the MK1XL. I can't say enough good things about Integral Designs Products. I also have a bivy sack made by Integral Designs.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

The Warmlite was $535, and that included the extra for the big door. I didn't stake it down at Matlock Lake (Topix trip), I just used boulders in the front and back and it stood up just fine.

Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Another vote for warmlite. Roomy and light weight. I got mine on ebay, so price wasn't too bad.
Wanderer
Founding Member

Post by Wanderer »

I have a Bibler I tent which I think is ideal for one person (it's advertised as a 2-person tent!) Free-standing, 4-season, around 4 lbs, I always rank it up there with my very favorite pieces of gear!

The Integral Designs tent is almost identical (I think the MK-1?) and used to be a lot cheaper, but I haven't priced them in awhile.
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

Stephensons Warmlite tent question:

Anyone who owns one have condensation problems with this tent?

Mine sure does ice up on the front door panel (which has no rainfly across it)

I'm a big guy so maybe I just spin off lots of hot moist air during the night
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Stephensons Warmlite

Post by lostcoyote »

Stephensons Warmlite tent question:

Anyone who owns one have condensation problems with this tent?

Mine sure does ice up on the front door panel (which has no rainfly across it)

I'm a big guy so maybe I just spin off lots of hot moist air during the night