Waiting in long lines to pick up a reserved permit in Yosemi

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bmcnally
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by bmcnally »

I'm planning a backpacking trip for August, and I'd like to start from White Wolf in Yosemite. I'll be arriving via YARTS in the valley at 8 pm on a Tuesday, so I'm planning on picking up my permit the next day. Of course, without a car I am going to need to take the backpackers' bus to White Wolf, which leaves the Yosemite Lodge area at 8:20 AM.

So my question is basically what are the chances that I am able to pick up my reserved permit and make the bus at 8:20 If I'm get to the wilderness permit station at 7:30? I've never gone through the process of picking up a reserved permit, so I'm not sure what to expect. Read some other posts here that said the rangers give you a spiel and ask you some questions, so I'm more than a little concerned about how long that will take.

I'm guessing the time it takes to pick up a permit can very widely, but I thought I'd ask in case that scheduling turns out to be totally unworkable. If it seems like it might be doable, I'd appreciate any tips that might help me expedite the process. Otherwise, I'll start taking a closer look at my plans B and C.

Thanks, Much Appreciated.
Ska-T
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Waiting in long lines to pick up a reserved permit in Yosemi

Post by Ska-T »

The Yosemite Valley Wilderness Center opens at 7:30am in July and August. Since getting your permit quickly is very important to you is there any reason you can't show up at the office by 7am or earlier and be first in line? Once you start the permit process with a ranger it takes about 10 min.
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

I've never waited terribly long, but if you are worried about it then get in line at the door much earlier!:) Bring your hot drink and a book....
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bmcnally
Topix Newbie

Post by bmcnally »

Hey thanks for the quick replies. That's what I'll do, just get there early. Good to know it won't take to long. Thanks again!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Just some thoughts...
"Next day" permit lines open up later...10:00 (maybe 11:00, I forget).
You should not have that many in front of you at 7:00, being as you are in a different group. You are picking up a reserved permit and thus your different line opens up first - 7:30.
BTW, Rangers in Yosemite know about the bus and making that connection. They will ask first thing as they open up. Speak up!

To add, most hikers are cool and when informed of what you are attempting...(Permit and then the bus) - most will move you to the front graciously, after they realize that you are not a permit threat...will not be taking their possible permit, and you have a tight schedule...

Be cool, smile, and say something...just ask those ahead.
I anticipate no real problem making the bus with permit in hand.
Mountainman who swims with trout
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

If nothing else, you could just take the bus to Tuolumne and get your permit there. From there I believe you can take the local shuttle to white wolf. You would have to back track, but its an option if the Valley doesn't work out.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

It would have to be the yarts to white wolf. shuttles have boundaries - the tm shuttle turns around at olmsted.
paula53
Topix Regular

Post by paula53 »

The local shuttle busses don't go past Olmstead point. I wish they would go all the Way to White Wolf, it would make life easier on us backpackers.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/p ... UMP_566977" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
iHartMK
Topix Regular

Post by iHartMK »

Long lines?.. I guess this is why I prefer Sequoia & Kings Canyon.
I love Yosemite... but I don't like waiting in long lines.
Living On Kaweah Time