When to start the High Sierra Route this summer?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

When would you start the trip?

Last week in June
60%
First week in July
13%
Second week in July
7%
Third week in July
No votes
Fourth week in July
13%
Fifth week in July
7%

Total votes: 15

rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: When to start the High Sierra Route this summer?

Post by rlown »

i do remember it.. in a good way..

Still say, plan early. (late June). if Winter plays out weird avoid the 4th of July and go the week after.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Well, on this one I am in complete agreement with Russ. This has been such a strange winter, it all hinges on whether these last 2 storms have been an aberration and we are going back to drought or if the first half was the aberration and the rest of the season is going to be normal. Any prediction is nothing more than a WAG. In normal winters, most snow is gone by the end of June. I don't think we have to worry about this being a repeat of 82-83 or 10-11. With the experience both of you have, I think you could handle hiking on the snow. It will be hard packed and any use of crampons or ice cleats would only be on steeper slopes. If you know how to self arrest with the ice axe, I just don't think you will have serious problems. And really, how can you go wrong starting a honeymoon in the Ahwahnee!? C'mon, treat the lady to some mountain elegance before or after the trail. :rockon:
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

I would pick your date and get your permit now. The SEKI Wilderness permit application says:

"Changes to the entry date or trail and increases in group size must be made at least one week before your entry date. One change can be made with no cost. Any additional changes result in a $10 processing fee."

If you discover that the conditions would be better if you go later, then change the date at least a week in advance. With two people, changing the date shouldn't be difficult, especially for a weekday. That way you can relax and enjoy your wedding and still will have your permit for the honeymoon.

This is what I did three years ago and I had to change my entry date due to family plans changing. All it took was a phone call. It's also what I'm doing this year since I don't know for sure the dates I picked will hold -- my wife and I need to hear from an irresponsible/uncommunicative family member who lives 2,000 miles away before we can finalize summer plans. But at least, I'll have my permit instead of worrying about getting a walk-up for Copper Creek (I'm hoping to do the Lakes Basin/Cartridge Pass/Pinchot Pass loop).

Congratulations and have a happy honeymoon.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I would walk in for a permit.

Never had an issue for any trailhead in SEKI doing that. As long as it is not Paradise, Bubbs, or Crescent Meadow, there's never been an issue.

Copper Creek is a very, very, very strenuous trail - 5,000 feet of climbing in the first miles - and while it's not unused, it's not what most people are up for.
afahrland
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by afahrland »

As others have said, I wouldn't worry too much about getting a permit. Not many people want to walk up all those switchbacks.

Of course things can change if we get some big storms, but right now there is even less snow than last year. Here is a photo from a section just off the High Route near Tuolumne Meadows from June 14th of last year:

That trip felt more like late July than mid-June.

Personally I would bring an ice axe (and practice with it a few times to refresh your memory) and maybe microspikes since you are bound to encounter some steep snow slopes but there just isn't that much snow out there.
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

The trick to getting a room at the Ahwahnee, always booked ahead for the year, is to start calling a week or so before you want a room to get in on those last minute cancellations. Personally, I liked staying at the Wawona just as much. Have a terrific wedding and honeymoon.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

just to clarify, My wife and I got married at the Yose Chapel in Feb '94. 2' of snow on the ground with about 30 guests who made the trip up to stay in the valley and celebrate with us. Even served my own beer and hard cider.

We had our reception in the Solarium at the Ahwahnee. Stayed for a couple nights there. Even had some nice hikes and a Mule ride. I think we had room 450, which gave us patio access and overlooked the valley to the west. It IS now very expensive to stay there, but very nice, esp if you do the dinner and the brunch.

It was funny as there were a few animals running around as we did the reception. Deer, Coyotes..

Brendan, I hope yours starts out as memorable.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There is a cut-off time to get permits at Roads End. I think it is 2PM or 3PM. They do that because they want people to get 4 miles up the trails before camping. I started up the Copper Creek trail at 5AM. It can get hot quickly. I got a permit the previous day and camped at Moraine Campground. It is hard to get on the trail before 8-9 AM if you get a permit the day you walk in.

I agree a walk in permit should be no problem. That gives you flexibility. Unless we get a LOT more snow this spring, I would be more concerned with forest fires (smoky conditions), mosquitoes and river crossings than snow. Snow does not bother me for June backpacking; river crossings do!

I would say that if you are well versed on snow, can confidently self arrest, know when snow becomes unsafe and roping up is needed, then going early, if properly equipped is no problem. Otherwise, starting about 3rd week in July would allow you to avoid snow (given we end up a very dry year). A late as possible start would be my preference just to avoid mosquitoes.

I think the HSR is a great honeymoon! Just do not plan days so long that each one is a death march.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

AlmostThere wrote:I would walk in for a permit.

Never had an issue for any trailhead in SEKI doing that. As long as it is not Paradise, Bubbs, or Crescent Meadow, there's never been an issue.

Copper Creek is a very, very, very strenuous trail - 5,000 feet of climbing in the first miles - and while it's not unused, it's not what most people are up for.
I wish that this had been the case for our group. Just found out that our group couldn't get a permit for August for at least six of us for the Copper Creek trail. Instead we'll have to do the trip in reverse, which means going to Paradise Valley and up to the arrow lakes on the first and second days and then on to Bench Lake, Lakes Basin, Grouse Lake, and eventually down Copper Creek. I was surprised that we couldn't get a permit given how strenuous Copper Creek is. I've been up it once and don't recall an issue with a permit.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

When to start the High Sierra Route this summer?

Post by AlmostThere »

six people. i get walk in permits in yosemite, where it's even harder to get them, by having one or two people.

people are forever changing plans - walking in lets you pick up open spots left when others who reserved figure out they cannot go. or more likely, all their friends drop out on them.

i have reserved second choice, walked in, asked, and gotten a last minute change to what i wanted in the first place, with six people, from lodgepole.