When to start the High Sierra Route this summer?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

When would you start the trip?

Last week in June
60%
First week in July
13%
Second week in July
7%
Third week in July
No votes
Fourth week in July
13%
Fifth week in July
7%

Total votes: 15

BrendanM
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

When to start the High Sierra Route this summer?

Post by BrendanM »

Hi all,

I am getting married this coming June 21st and need your advice!

For our honeymoon, my fiance and I are planning to hike a custom route that roughly follows the High Sierra Route from start to finish, with deviations onto the JMT to socialize and make up mileage, as necessary. We are trying to figure out when to start the trip and seek the wisdom of you all about when is a safe date to start (as far as snowpack is concerned).

Our very strong preference is to hit trail the week after the wedding from the Copper Creek Trail in Kings Canyon. We can push our start date to as late as the last week in July, but every day of delay will be disappointing, of course. Given the kind of snow year we are having, what kind of snow conditions might we find on the High Sierra Route if we start right away, say, June 26th? If it were you, would you push out your start date and, if so, to when (again, recognizing that it would be disappointing to have to do so)?

Thanks everyone! I'm excited to read your advice.

Brendan
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: When to start the High Sierra Route this summer?

Post by maverick »

Hi Brendan,

Welcome to HST, and congratulations! Would ask that you give us some info about
yourselves so we can give out advise based on your to be brides, and your experience
level. http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... f=1&t=4205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
BrendanM
Topix Novice

Post by BrendanM »

Oh yes, sorry for the lack of background. My fiance and I are in our early thirties. We are quite fit and very experienced in the outdoors. She was an Outward Bound instructor and grew up in an outdoors family. I grew up in an outdoors family too and have spent a great deal of time in the Sierra since moving from Montana to California four years ago. We are both experienced rock climbers, capable of day-long multi-pitch class 5 climbs, but we've got only limited experience with ice axe and crampons. Last winter we spent four days ski touring in the high sierra by ourselves. I've got AIARE level 1 avalanche awareness training.

I'm pretty confident we can handle the technical side of traversing snow slopes. I'm just not sure that we'd like to do so over the course of so many miles, and particularly if we have to carry additional gear to do so.

Brendan
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

How many day would you like to dedicate to this 195 mile trip (honeymoon)? Some
have 3 week or longer, others a little over a week ( http://andrewskurka.com/adventures/sierra-high-route/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ).
You said your experienced with travel in the Sierra, so keep in mind that you will be going
at the height of mosquito season, DEET will make a good wedding present. :)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
BrendanM
Topix Novice

Post by BrendanM »

We've got +/- 3 weeks to do this.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

This winter isn't over yet. It's hard to predict so far for any kind of start date. Congrats though.

Not even a nice 2 night stay at the Ahwahnee? :)
BrendanM
Topix Novice

Post by BrendanM »

Hah, you're the second person to recommend a few nights at the Ahwahnee!

The reason I'm pressing the issue now is because wilderness permits just became available for Kings Canyon and I'm nervous about waiting too long before securing access, lest there be no available permits for the time period we ultimately choose. Let me know if you think this is an unnecessary concern though.

Brendan
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

well. if you're concerned about permits, plan early, get the permit, and if it dumps, replan for after 4 July. Just 2 of you.. permits aren't your problem really.. it's resupply.

Seriously.. do the hotel.. you'll both remember it forever.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Rlown wrote:
Seriously.. do the hotel.. you'll both remember it forever.
As you can see Rlown does.
Getting walk-in permits the morning of for Copper Creek will not be a
problem, especially if you get there early and/or start on a week day.

markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Pretty sure there are/will always be two "honeymoon" permits (next day) available for the High Route - probably all year too - no worries there...just you two, right?

Quick question - If you go out a week earlier, can you spend that extra week up there?
4 weeks is better...
If no more severe storms - voted late June.
Mountainman who swims with trout