Trip Recommendation for mid-March

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip Recommendation for mid-March

Post by AlmostThere »

TahoeJeff wrote:
balzaccom wrote:There's a trip report on our site about it.
AlmostThere wrote:I'm guessing this is more about hits to the blog, but whatever.
Hmmmm....
Well, did balz ever post a dubious question that appears to be answerable on his own blog? Or did he post many times over with helpful content, post trip reports, post occasional entertaining rambling about his adventures, and otherwise share things other than a link to his blog?

Hmmmm... one post with dubious content, vs. a history of participation and a link to the blog in his footer.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Agreed.
Balzaccom has contributed here often...many informative posts...has earned the right to promote his site (which by rules here, must be Sierra related), even though also seen as somewhat self-serving.
In addition, Balz has included a reciprocal link to HST in his blog - required.
I know it is a fine line but...
Mark
edit - If it were me, I would delete the OP's (smackmeister's) link, for the reasons stated above, and because, in his linked blog, he calls our mountains the Sierra Nevadas...ERIC?
Mountainman who swims with trout
smackmeister
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by smackmeister »

I don't get it. I came here for legitimate advice and I'm treated like this. Not the most hospitable treatment I've experienced online. Perhaps I don't get the offense to using "Sierra Nevadas" being someone from Texas. We call the Rocky Mountains "the rockies". I included a link to my site because in the post about posting a quality request for advice also stated you guys like trip reports and pictures. I could care less about hits to the site as I have zero ads on my site. Clearly I have an interest in backpacking but you guys treat me like I'm a spam bot.
smackmeister
Topix Novice

Post by smackmeister »

balzaccom wrote:It's tough to get big mountain vistas and not have so much snow that you are you wallowing in it right now.

The best bet might be something like Hite Cove, which is well below snow levels, between Maripos and Yosemite. But's it's only about 4-5 miles each way...

There's a trip report on our site about it.
Thanks balzaccom, great site and it seems I've checked out before. The early season hikes was part of my curiosity about current possibilities. Hite Cove looks amazing with the wildflowers but you're right that it's not a very long hike.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Smackmeister, normally, I would recommend the Hetch Hetchy area, but I believe the trailhead may still be closed because of cleanup work being done in the wake of last year's big fire. Hetch Hetchy was apparently spared but areas directly to the NW were hit hard and there are many dead/burned trees near trails that pose a hazard.

There are many low elevation hikes (under 6500 feet) you might entertain -- look at your maps and explore. If you can't drive there because the roads are covered in snow, it might not be the best destination for you. Keep in mind that in a normal year, the snowline is often at or about 6,000 feet by late March. This is not a normal year.

Wherever you go in the Sierras in March, be prepared for bad weather. You may not need snow shoes or cross country skis but be sure to bring a weather worthy tent, warm clothes, and a cold weather sleeping bag and pad.

Hey, I just used the term "Sierras." Shoot me!

Mike
smackmeister
Topix Novice

Post by smackmeister »

Mike M. wrote:There are many low elevation hikes (under 6500 feet) you might entertain -- look at your maps and explore. If you can't drive there because the roads are covered in snow, it might not be the best destination for you. Keep in mind that in a normal year, the snowline is often at or about 6,000 feet by late March. This is not a normal year.
Thanks Mike. I'll look at my maps some more. Do you know what the snowline is currently at? I've spent a couple days in that area going through Lake Vernon and Rancheria falls (which was impressive). Seems like the fire was SW of Hetch Hetchy so perhaps Lake Elenor area might have some viable trail heads heading north.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Winter road closures may be in effect - best to call the park or NF.

The road to Cherry Lake usually closes in winter. There were Rim Fire closures of many NF roads into the bargain. Those roads may not necessarily have snow but be closed because no one has removed trees or graded washouts - they'll do that in spring.

A ranger in Yosemite told me last month that they closed the trails at Hetch Hetchy out of concern for falling dead trees killed in the Rim Fire. No idea if that is still true or not and I have not checked.

The roads to Courtright and Wishon close in winter.

The roads to many east side destinations close in winter.

The high passes tend to close in winter, and it just snowed.

Therefore, check the road status before planning.
Last edited by AlmostThere on Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Hey,
Just wanted you to know we are not a bunch of hard arsses here (read your last night's deleted post). If you are serious about your question, then you should already know that there are no "big mountain" areas in the Sierra that are easily accessed now without snow...It is winter. Your blog seems to suggest you are already experienced and knowledgeable on our mountains - (nice blog BTW).
Too many times we see first-time members who post gibberish and then add a link to their own agenda...your's appeared just such a post.
Suggest you stick around, add some real insights/personal knowledge, etc first, and get to know how we roll before adding a link. Then, if you do want to add your link later, just be sure to add a reciprocal link in your blog that mentions HST. This is all we ask.

Just so you know, we are sometimes sarcastic but we can take it as well as dish it out...much like any real hiker who I would enjoy hiking with.

BTW, much like San Francisco natives hating the name "Frisco", the use of Sierra Nevadas (even Sierras) is wrong and very much frowned on. Sierra Nevada translates to Snowy Mountains...adding the last "S" shows a naive understanding of our jewel - and something someone of your experience should already know.
Sorry if I offended you but as Admin here - keeper of the keys, too often see self-serving spammers.
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
smackmeister
Topix Novice

Post by smackmeister »

Thanks for the explanation, Mark. I've already started updating my site to remove the 's'. I love the Sierra and with the snowpack being so off from average, I guess I was overly optimistic. Looks like I'll look into coastal or desert options until I can get back to the Sierra.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Personally, I wish you'd put your link back in. Assuming of course you also contribute here, even if it's pointers back to your blog about Sierra trips. It would also be nice to mention the HST site in your links section of your Blog. The other trips were nice to read as well.

Russ