Eyeglasses

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Eyeglasses

Post by rlown »

If you go with glasses, I'd look to Crizal lenses just for the scratch resistance and make sure you get UV protection either in a coating or whatever they do for that.

Since i'm pretty blind, I actually carry 3 pair when I go out. One pair stays in the truck and two pair go with me. I had the unfortunate experience where I took off my glasses to tie a fishing knot and instead of putting them on my daypack like i usually do, I put them on the grass. I was a bit tired after an all day fish fest. I stepped back and heard a soft crunch. :\

Second pair became very important at that moment.

You might consider the lenses that change to shades. Note that up there, they will almost always be shades. I think OR has those. I've never tried them.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

I take two pair. My standard pair are transition lenses made of polycarbonate. For fishing and driving on sunny days I use transitions polarized driving lenses in polycarbonate. They do not get clear when it gets dark but let enough light through that I often forget to change in the evening. They are great for driving as they cut any glare on the windshield and still darken. They do create a problem reading electronic screens, though. Polycarbonate is more subject to scratching than glass but is a little tougher and much lighter.

Now that this thread has been merged I see that I have repeated myself. Do that often must be getting old!

Mike
Last edited by oldranger on Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

My eyesight is not so bad that I take a spare. Without glasses, I do have trouble reading a map but otherwise can stumble along. As geeky as it sounds, I would use a strap unless you will have your glasses on your face 100% of the time. That way when you take them off, they are still attached to you. I lost a $200 pair of glasses when they fell out of my pocket. I found that the photo-gray glasses worked well as long as I was not traveling on snow (need more powerful sunglasses /goggles for snow).
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Since I'm 20/200+ in each eye and have to get a new prescription every year, I carry two pairs, one my newest prescription and the other my spare pair, which is the previous year's prescription (the variation is not too much to cause problems).

When I turned 50, I had to get progressive lenses. They are polycarbonate safety glass coated for UV and glare and scratch resistant. I don't have transition lenses.

My wife has a second pair of non-progressives with transition lenses she uses for hiking. She has a harder time dealing with progressive lenses and the difference from what's at her feet and what's in the distance.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

This thread may help: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8924&hilit=glasses#p65745" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Update: Thread merged.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Going up the Half Dome cables, three gentlemen were traveling above, very slowly, hogging the cables, making it impossible for anyone to pass.
A Ranger somehow got by them, coming down, and we asked him if he could do anything about the clog above.
He said, "They are all blind!"
One guy waiting patiently with us said, "Amazing, they should make a TV show about them." Another said, "Impressive - maybe someone could use them as an example, a magnet for collecting contributions for all other blind individuals."

I added, "Why don't they do the cables at night?"
Mountainman who swims with trout
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I don't recall the brand, but the extra dark photo grey I had sucked. After 2 years, they became crackly like somebody did a lousy do it yourself window tint film over them. La Caveat Emptor.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
tahoefoothills
Topix Acquainted

Post by tahoefoothills »

I had the lasik procedure in 2001 and my results were fantastic, no complications, etc. However, after about 9-10 years my nearsightedness began creeping back, but not to the original extent. Alas, I now need reading glasses, too. These days on the trail I take two pairs of glasses, both lightweight wire-rim with progressive lens. No problems other than I hate wearing glasses. I'd love to have a lasik procedure touch-up. The taste of freedom it provided was terrific, especially if you are a sports and outdoors type person.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

I think you should get a monocle! Half the weight and going back in style!
I'm no suture for my future.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »