Emerson Peak, made it to the west ridge, 13,118'

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Sunday, 5 November 2006
PHOTOS: http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/555393863tAClBt

I was acclimatized for this hike, but it was a tough hike. Tomcat and I made it to the west ridge one hour after our turnaround time. The summit was close but we had a 2000' decent to get back on the main trail before dark. That part would not have been fun in the dark.

Captions aren't done, but I'll get to it when I can.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice photos. I had sworn off Emerson after one of the two worst route picking errors of my peak bagging history, but after looking at your photos, particularly the last one with the summit pinnacle, I think I will need to reconsider and put it back in the cross hairs. It's interesting that vantage point for that photo (much farther away than where I was looking at things), as well as the lighting angles, and perhaps the accents from the new snow really seem to point to the vulnerability of its southern flank. From where I stood 19 years ago, I thought that the finishing the ridge on its southern side looked bad (perhaps because I was too close to see the true southern flank of the summit pinnacle), so, believe or not, I attempted to finish the climb on the northern side (ie north face). Exceedingly bad move. The north side is very dangerously loose, and I got to within one committing mantle move of the summit when I realized I had no trust in the rock I was going to pull myself up on. Retracing my route back to the notch in the ridge was the most scared I've ever been in all of my years in the Sierra. Up until crossing over to the wrong side, and dealing with horrific class 4 crud unroped, it had been a very efficient all class 2 climb from Piute Lake. I climbed more or less directly toward the summit from Piute Lake (or was it from a hair downstream of the lake), and ended up at the last possible notch west of the summit. Needless to say, the finish on the south would indeed be 3rd class, but a lot nicer and firmer than the north side. Anyhow thanks for the photos, they certainly put some ideas into my head.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

I think if I do this one again, I should backpack to Piute lake and hike up the next day so I'm not so wiped out. And maybe do it when the days are longer. Now that I look back at the photos, it doesn't look so bad, but by the time we got to the ridge, I was spent and didn't it in me to continue.

My arms and shoulders were pretty sore from pulling myself up those boulders. :retard:
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

finally posted pictures from this trip - wish I had taken more - lots of great views to the western peaks - and what is with that crazy looking airplane
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Tom, you forgot to post a link!

Tom's photos: http://members3.clubphoto.com/tom103807 ... uest.phtml

I'll check it out during lunch today when I have a little more time!

ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Looks like you guys had another fun trip, Emerson is on my short list so
dont forget me the next time you try it.

That is a funky looking airplane.
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

Nice pics, Tomcat! That picture of Humphries has got to be one of the best of that peak that I've seen; it certainly shows the ruggedness and relative isolation better than any other I've seen! I can see why it's considered a prized summit! :eek: I remember seeing it from Desolation Lake a few years ago and marveling at it's enormity! I like the evening glow on the rocks that you and Snowy got, as well!

Tomcat, the challenge is to get a pic of Snow Nymph WITHOUT a smile on her face!!! Then you'll have a rare keepsake! :D
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

hi trekker and ridgeline

I agree humphreys looks most impressive as did Julius Ceasar. Definately going back to do this one another time. So get your boots warmed up for next year.

catch Snowy w/o a smile? I think you would have to take her out of the mountains to get that kind of shot. maybe like when she goes to work -- lmbo :lol:
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Nah, I enjoy work, and I smile a lot at work (I have to with my job). I will be smiling more next spring if we switch to 9/80! :D Its looking like it might happen, and our company will shut down every other Friday!! :D \:D/ :D

There was a photo on Mt Russell where I wasn't smiling. :(

Ridgeline, I thought about you partway up and remembered your summit signature. I should have e-mailed you about this one!

Great photos and fun trip!

ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Thats for my Granddaughter Emmerson (2 m's) she's a natural born climber.