Zimmerbuilt

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Zimmerbuilt

Post by hikerduane »

Beer thirty!
Duane
Piece of cake.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

mine should be here next week

Post by FeetFirst »

I just received the pictures from Chris before he ships it out.

I can't wait to get this thing dirty!

Anyone looking for a deal on a Cilogear 45L Worsack?
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

FeetFirst wrote:
Anyone looking for a deal on a Cilogear 45L Worsack?
Post in "High Sierra Marketplace" section.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Rockchucker
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by Rockchucker »

Sweet pack! I like the X PAC body, is that a ZB2? What size did you get ? How much dies it weigh?

Thanks for posting the picture.
I'm no suture for my future.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

By custom built, do you mean you choose features/material/size or do you send your body measurements and they specifically fit the pack to you? Or both?
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

Both, but it's just torso and waist, Chris will build it to what ever spec you want. We spent almost 2 weeks of going back and forth on sizing and material. You can also mix and match what materials suits your needs. So a pack could have cuben, x PAC, and Dyneema x all on the same pack. Then he also has different mesh materials, internal frame/no frame. Possibilities are vast.
I'm no suture for my future.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

Rockchucker wrote:Sweet pack! I like the X PAC body, is that a ZB2? What size did you get ? How much dies it weigh?

Thanks for posting the picture.
Thank you, but as you know the kudos definitely belongs to Chris.

Yep, based off of the ZB2. It's about 2,800 cubic inches for the main pack. 31 ounces with removable water bottle pockets and aluminum frame. I do plan on slipping in a folded piece of stiff 1/8" closed cell foam (approximately 20" x 24") for padding and additional support, so a couple of ounces added there. As you can see, lots of daisy chains to add pockets/webbing for additional carry options if needed. The majority of the pack is X-Pac (VX21) and the extension collar is Dyneema-X. I'll have it before the weekend and plan to take it on a jaunt into the foothills or coast.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

I'll add pictures later, but for now just a couple of words about the carry and comfort of the pack.

So far I've only been able to load up the pack with my normal 3+ season gear, bear can (BV450) included, and go for a short day hike (5 miles) at a nearby wildlife preserve.

After manipulating the aluminum stay to conform to the bends of my back, the pack felt very secure and comfortable. The hip belt leaves a bit to be wished for, but not bad. It keeps the weight of the pack supported over my hips and is comfortable, but I wouldn't want to carry heavy loads (40+lbs) with it. I wish I would have configured the pack to have a removable hip belt so I could swap a burlier one in there if the load required it.

The shoulder straps are good and form around my shoulders and chest without any rubbing. They keep the pack secure without feeling overly tight and attach to the pack/frame at a perfect height (torso length) to keep most of the weight off of my shoulders.

All of my gear fits perfectly inside of the pack with a bit of room to spare before the the modest drawstring extension collar. Adding an extra fleece or whatnot shouldn't be a problem. Also, with the vertical daisy chains on the front, horizontal chains on the side, top Y- strap, and side compression straps, lashing gear, tools, rods, etc. to the exterior of the pack should be easy.

The two removable side water bottle pockets are secure and reachable while wearing the pack. Placing a bottle (1L Gatorade) back into the pockets is harder but can still be done while on the move without removing the pack.

All of the materials and hardware are of high quality and it shows. The hip belt buckle does not slip at all, nor do any of the other ladder locks. The construction quality is better than all other "cottage" packs I've seen which includes ULA, HMG, and Cilogear.

So I'm pretty excited about using the pack this year and have full confidence in it. I do wish the hip belt was a bit more substantial, but it does feel adequate and at the end of my hike very comfortable.