Easiest cross country passes in the high sierras?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Easiest cross country passes in the high sierras?

Post by Tom_H »

ndwoods wrote:Don't be a smartass pass was easy for you? ok, I'm gonna go back to it! It's one of the early xc passes we attempted and it was impassable to us. I looked in my records and we had attempted it July 14 1996...don't know if that was a heavy snowfall year, but the pass was like one solid sheet of ice from the top to the lake and from the edge of one cliff to the edge of another....we actually tried to climb down each side along the rocks and came across scary cracks in the ice that looked like if they gave way the whole sheet would shoot into the lake below. I have often thought of going back later in the season...also now that I have quite of few more years xc...:)
Um, may I ask exactly who it is that you're talking to and which pass you're talking about?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Tom_H wrote:
Um, may I ask exactly who it is that you're talking to and which pass you're talking about?
Rogue wrote:

Hmmm so many passes to think about! Allot of factors to think about also like is it just how easy the terrain was going over or do we need to think about how much altitude gain and loss it has. Also the general approach to it might be difficult even though the pass itself is not hard. Then do we factor in if the pass has use trails or maybe even an old trail that can be followed allot such as Gardiner or Cartridge Passes.

Pterodactyl Pass in SNP is probably one of the easiest over all passes I can think of.
You have almost no rock hoping at all. The whole thing is smooth granite slabs. All
around class 1 with the smallest level of class 2.

Grouse Pass which is the first along the Sierra High Route is extremely easy if you
think about the terrain from Grouse Lake and over and not the 6000 gain it takes
from the trail head.

Grey Pass on the HST is also just an easy walk over.

Red Pass on the HST is also just a walk over with allot of use trail on it's East side.

Don't Be a Smart Pass in Yosemite

That's some I can think of off the top of my head.
She was addressing Rogue Tom.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

maverick wrote:
She was addressing Rogue Tom.
Gotcha, thanks. I was scratching my head for a moment.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Rogue mentioned pterodactyl as easy, but it is all relative as I have seen it sketchy ice and snow. Dry, yeah its easy.

Cyclamen pass is another one I can think of that has been difficult and easy for me, depending on your route.

WD pointed out a while back that 10 ft to the right or left can be the difference between loose, solid, class 2 or class 4.

Route finding is paramount to go the path of least resistence. Also not being afraid to turn around is important. Passes that are listed as class 3 can become easy class 2 via routefinding.

There is an unnamed pass i have been using that again, is either scary loose ball bearing on slabs, or solid class 3-4 rock.
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

Deer Pass, near Mammoth Lakes, is very easy. You can make a nice 1-2 day loop along the Mammoth Crest by starting George Lake trailhead, and then using Deer Pass to connect to Duck Pass (which is trailed).
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I didn't find anything difficult about Don't Be a Smart Pass. The NE side was about 95% snow cover but it was not steep enough to cause a problem. If it was solid ice then I'm sure you would need to cut some foot holds. The snow was a perfect quality to get solid footing without falling down more than once or twice :p . The SW side was an easy walk down. I only slipped and fell to the ground one time while staying on the snow.
Sierra_Summits
Topix Acquainted

Post by Sierra_Summits »

So just to sum up what i have heard from people:

Obviously these passes can be harder or easier depending on route taken and snow level but this is our opinion and collective experience with them.

Rae col
North glacier pass
Knapsack Pass
Harrington Pass
Gimme Pass
Crabtree Pass
Coyote Pass
Black Giant Pass
Gabbot Pass
Goat Crest Saddle
Bighorn Pass
Pilot Knob Pass
Rockwell Pass
Grouse Lake Pass
Pterodactyl Pass
Don't be a smart Pass
Grey Pass
Red Pass
Mt. Shin Pass
Harrington Pass
Rockbound Saddle
Pass Between Tower lake and Helen Lake (Hoover)
South Ridge of Hawks Beak Peak (Hoover)
Deer Pass
"Heaven is here on Earth!"

--Bob Marley
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

is there a point to this thread? if you want to get somewhere, you do.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Rlown wrote:
is there a point to this thread?

b]Sierra_Summits wrote:[/b]
i appreciate any ideas as i would like to put together a list of easy cross country passes
as i know my knees are getting less reliable!
Russ,

As stated by the OP, he or she is looking for easier Sierra passes because of knee issues.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ndwoods
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by ndwoods »

Ditto Cartridge. From the north that is...the south would be one nasty slug up hill...:)
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;