Bad cut (kind of graphic)

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Bad cut (kind of graphic)

Post by Rockchucker »

rlown wrote:Well, RC, from your signature:
I'm no suture for my future.
Now you are!!
Ha that's great, didn't even think about that! Thanks for the chuckle, Russ.
Wandering Daisy wrote:Just curious. Are you on any blood thinners. Did you take any aspirin within the previous few days? Any meds that have a side effect of bleeding? My husband is on blood thinners and this really worries me when we are backpacking.
I was taking Advil because of a back injury.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Bad spot there on the hand. Get better for some mc riding dude. People always worry about my solo trips. Good stuff happens! Only bad thing that happened to me was at home, drove myself to the ER with my hand over my face.
Duane
Piece of cake.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

Yea it's hurting like hell, I'm also a bit nervous because two fingers have very little feeling.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Leaving gear behind and stuffing only the essentials to get yourself out is an option depending on circumstances. If you can stuff with one hand, then jettison everything except the essentials into the tent. The less of a load, the less working against you. There are many variables, but getting yourself to help is the secondary objective. Stopping the bleeding and stabilizing the wound as best you can is the primary objective.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

Rockchucker wrote:Yea it's hurting like hell, I'm also a bit nervous because two fingers have very little feeling.

Sorry man, been there too.
You may have damaged nerves; maybe not news. They do grow back it does take time. 6-12 months.It is a slow process. I know it's scary, but hang in there and (cliche) be thankful it wasn't worse.
Hope you are feeling better soon and get back to somewhat of a normal routine.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

austex wrote:
Rockchucker wrote:Yea it's hurting like hell, I'm also a bit nervous because two fingers have very little feeling.

Sorry man, been there too.
You may have damaged nerves; maybe not news. They do grow back it does take time. 6-12 months.It is a slow process. I know it's scary, but hang in there and (cliche) be thankful it wasn't worse.
Hope you are feeling better soon and get back to somewhat of a normal routine.
Thanks! You're right could have been way worse.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

The worst I ever did to myself at work was while trying very hard to get a large screw to go in while I held the metal I was trying to get through my rolling scaffold rolled away on me and with the full weight of my body I stabbed the drill through the tip of my finger. My nail had been flat against the wall so it was not ripped off but a dent was in the wall where it had bashed through my finger into the back of the nail. The next day I found some bone fragments on the end of my drill. Fun fun! I still have a small X mark on my finger which is the scar from the Philips head. I never did see a doctor for any of these injuries.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Rogue,

You might get it soon. We're not invincible. We don't get younger, but we are supposed to get smarter. And now we have affordable healthcare. :p Did a tetanus shot come to mind?

RC, what pain meds did they prescribe? I assume no work for a bit.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

Vicodin,( I hate pain pills, foggy head is almost as bad as the pain!) no work for a day or two, I'm going to take advantage of the nice weather and day hike tomorrow, with my hand elevated of course. Good thing I'll be where no one is other, quite the site, a guy walking with a hand resting on his head! :retard:
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

RoguePhotonic wrote:The worst I ever did to myself at work was while trying very hard to get a large screw to go in while I held the metal I was trying to get through my rolling scaffold rolled away on me and with the full weight of my body I stabbed the drill through the tip of my finger. My nail had been flat against the wall so it was not ripped off but a dent was in the wall where it had bashed through my finger into the back of the nail. The next day I found some bone fragments on the end of my drill. Fun fun! I still have a small X mark on my finger which is the scar from the Philips head. I never did see a doctor for any of these injuries.
This was a case of no choice, squirting blood is pretty scary, and as a carpenter I've been cut plenty. This was a whole new level.