Bad cut (kind of graphic)

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Bad cut (kind of graphic)

Post by Rockchucker »

I got cut on some metal yesterday at work pretty bad , hit a artery and was
Quite the mess, squirting blood everywhere. I got to the emergency room and they had to do quite a bit of work to get the bleeding stopped. While sitting in the emergency room I got to thinking what would I have done in the back country had something like this happened. I'm sure I could get the blood stopped, but the hematoma and pain rendered my hand useless. I can't do anything with the hand this morning. I was thinking how difficult it would be just to pack up camp.

What is your contingency plan in the event something like this happens? I can't even button my pants rather alone take down a tent.
I'm no suture for my future.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bad cut (kind of graphic)

Post by maverick »

Here are some previous threads that touch on this subject, hope you heel up quickly!
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7782&hilit=injury" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5984&hilit=first+aid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Nice. Sounds like a CAL-OSHA investigation.

I don't do solo anymore, so I expect my partner or partners to help arrest the "leakage", then stabilize, and then go for help. If' i'm with someone with a SPOT, that'd be the time to press the button, esp, with an artery leaking.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Never say never. We can do just about damn near anything when it come to survival. Well, most can.....some people just seem to give up but I think they are a minority.

When you get in those situations, you come up with a plan, then execute the plan. Easy :evil:

I am a commercial/industrial electrician. Safety is a big part of my job. I am always completely suited up in the proper safety gear for what I am doing. I am grateful for cal-osha, but 10% of the time they are just over the top and are making most suffer because of the lowest common denominators.

Like they say **** happens, and I am not the type of person to look for someone to blame. That is one thing about our society I dislike. always trying to hold people accountable for accidents. Accidents are not black and white issues, period.

I don't like the idea of creating a perfectly safe environment. I have read Brave New World :eek: No but there is a trade off between fairness, safety, and/or security; and freedom. It is all about being sensible while still allowing us to learn the hard way. Sorry getting off of the topic here.

That got you pretty damn good. I hope it heals up quick....as if you are like me, our hands are our money makers.

Oh also...superglue makes a fine set of stitches. I have seen it work like a charm many times. Maybe it is a good idea to put a small bottle in your first aid kit.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

after you get the artery to stop leaking, i agree totally with the superglue. She's still gotta be wrapped tight. then loose and then tight.

RC, do you think you could have hiked out after you took that kind of artery hit?

btw, my uncle was also an electrician. In Montana, he fell off a perch and lost 3 fingers to metal.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

I do carry superglue in my FAK. It was a stupid mistake(as most are), I just took off my gloves to take a drink of water, then didn't put the gloves back on. Even worse was I just got done telling the labor to be careful because the sharp nails and metal corner bead can cut you pretty good, and how I would rather be safe than sorry. I really feel stupid, but I take it as a lesson to always wear gloves when demoing.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

rlown wrote:after you get the artery to stop leaking, i agree totally with the superglue. She's still gotta be wrapped tight. then loose and then tight.

RC, do you think you could have hiked out after you took that kind of artery hit?

btw, my uncle was also an electrician. In Montana, he fell off a perch and lost 3 fingers to metal.
I could walk easily, but I'm afraid getting the heart rate up would have aggravated the swelling and internal bleeding. I would have to go slow and keep my hand elevated above my heart.
To be honest it was a bit concerning watching blood squirting out so fast. Even being close to the hospital it took the doctor a good half hour to get it under control. I completely soaked three of the blue matts that they use to keep the beds clean. The other concern was the clotting, they had to pull the wound open and clear it out, funny little cut and 3 people trying to work on it!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Just curious. Are you on any blood thinners. Did you take any aspirin within the previous few days? Any meds that have a side effect of bleeding? My husband is on blood thinners and this really worries me when we are backpacking.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Yes hand injuries suck in the backcountry. In 2012 when I sliced my finger badly I didn't even try to set up a tent. Just rolling up my pad was a major pain. You just learn to do the best you can.

Sort of the same deal this year when I damaged my finger on Kaweah Pass. It was swollen badly for days and it just made everything difficult. Hell that was over 4 months ago and that finger is still not 100%. Maybe it never will be again.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Well, RC, from your signature:
Now you are!!