Ursack approved in Inyo Forest?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by John Harper »

I have been considering trying the Ursack on a trip to Cottonwood Lakes this year. From the website, it looks like it has approval for that area?

I have a Bare Boxer Contender, but was trying to lighten the load and bulk. Searched the forums, but was not seeing current information on approval.

John
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ursack approved in Inyo Forest?

Post by maverick »

Latest update: http://www.ursack.com/ursack-update.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

http://www.ursack.com/ursack-update.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"What's going on with Ursack?

January 6, 2014
It has been more than seven months since we tested Ursack for the Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee (IGBC) at the Grizzly Discovery Center, and there is still-despite repeated requests-no response. Many wilderness areas, e.g. Yosemite and SEKI, have delegated bear canister testing to the IGBC. Until there is a response, Ursack is in limbo."

At this time it appears, still not legal.
Mountainman who swims with trout
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

It says on the product page that it is approved for Inyo National Forest. Is this accurate?

I'm not going to be in Yosemite nor SEKI.

http://www.ursack.com/ursack-catalog.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

You are correct, they are not required there.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Intrigued, so I walked down to the local Mammoth Ranger place...they did not know either, but gave me the Lone Pine number... I called.
According to the Lone Pine Ranger...
"Last year Ursack filed a suit in some California court about being approved - and won.
Thus, in the Whitney Zone and surrounding National Forest lands, (while the Rangers there still do not approve of their being used)...they will not bust anyone if caught using one - IE Horseshoe Meadows -> Cottonwoods." As she put it, "They still are not approved but for now, we look the other way."
The problem is when/if you cross over to SEKI, where they are still not allowed...still subject to fines."
Interesting.
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted

Post by wanderin.jack »

FYI, I've used an URSACK for years and love it. I know an outfitter that uses them as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanderin' Jack
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

wanderin.jack wrote:FYI, I've used an URSACK for years and love it. I know an outfitter that uses them as well.
Confused...(again) -
wanderin.jack...Does this mean you use your Ursack only in areas still allowed? :thumbsup:
or -
You use them in all areas Sierra? :thumbsdown:
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted

Post by wanderin.jack »

My understanding is that under the terms of the lawsuit only Yosemite NP can enforce a ban on ursacks. I also have a bearikade.

Please note that I use to live in and hike a lot in Yellowstone and I am very very careful in bear country. I've had friend get on the wrong side of a griz. I know we have a very different bear here in CA but I learned good habits early. Frankly, in the Sierra I am much more concerned about the small critters than the big ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanderin' Jack
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

I sure hope we can start using ursack everywhere in the sierras. I know it's not perfect, but used properly they can be very effective.
I'm no suture for my future.